Reverse Bucket Adjustment - Neutral position 210 Challenger SE - Docking Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

FeelinNauti

I realize there are some threads on this but I can't seem to find exactly what I need and the manual is silent.
My neutral is moving the boat forward (can be very difficult at the dock). I believe the buckets are not quite low enough (??)
Also, in reverse in docking mode/full speed it barely moves - not expecting speed but I think it may be related.
Does anyone know how to adjust the buckets at the rear to compensate so I dont have to keep dropping the boat in the water and
readjusting? Maybe could someone measure the amount of the buckets are covered/or a close up with a ruler so I
can get it close? Is there a way to possibly lower the idle speed a tad to help? Thank you in advance for your help!

In neutral, our boat will creep forward a couple of miles an hour.

I find that pushing the throttle slightly in reverse can allow me to keep the boat pretty much stopped and in "neutral". On anything but a windy day, I can put our 210 up against the dock nice a gently with precision.

I found that adjusting the buckets too much will cause them to not lock in the up position. I wouldn't mess with them personally, and simply practice a bit more until you figure it all out.

In neutral, our boat will creep forward a couple of miles an hour.

I find that pushing the throttle slightly in reverse can allow me to keep the boat pretty much stopped and in "neutral". On anything but a windy day, I can put our 210 up against the dock nice a gently with precision.

I found that adjusting the buckets too much will cause them to not lock in the up position. I wouldn't mess with them personally, and simply practice a bit more until you figure it all out.

Ok- thanks for the reply.
Does your 210 actually travel backwards or just spin? (Mine seems like I put it in full reverse - docking mode but just spins.) Also, can I just use one engine just to get out of the dock slowly or would that be a bad idea?

The boat will always creep forward in neutral so that's normal. You will have much better control (at least I've found) with both engines operating at low speeds when docking (I don't use docking mode). As mentioned above your "true neutral" is going to be with the throttle slightly in reverse. I'd suggest getting lots of practice in and around the dock/slips and you will slowly get acclimated to how the boat responds.

I did adjust my buckets down 2 turns I think, it was more than a slow creep. Just need to be sure that they still clear the nozzle and forward.

Chiming in to say that mine also is never really in neutral. I'm not sure about "docking mode," but I've learned to line up the boat with the trailer and come in hot, so to speak. So far so good, but it scares the heck out of my helper when I load so fast. It's not REALLY fast, but I just keep it in forward gear and keep moving instead of trying to "float" onto the trailer, which usually ended up sideways and a few retries before getting it loaded correctly. It can be tricky, especially in the wind.......

Appreciate the helpful comments to the topic... 10forty2 how do you unload into the water? Mine doesn't seem to reverse very well as described above. It tends to spin. Do you walk it to the dock?

We load similar to 10forty2... When unloading make sure your wheel is straight then throttle in reverse. Using 'full throttle' in reverse tends to give you less control and less reverse, it's best to give it a little throttle and a little push from the front it will slide right off. Spray a little waterproof silicone on your bunks to give you a little more assistance. When reversing make small corrections to prevent the turning you describe, you just need a little wheel movement too much and your momentum builds. After a few times you will have it down!

Appreciate the helpful comments to the topic... 10forty2 how do you unload into the water? Mine doesn't seem to reverse very well as described above. It tends to spin. Do you walk it to the dock?
After a couple times, you'll quickly learn how deep to back the trailer into the water to float the boat off the trailer instead of having to power off the trailer in reverse. I also figured out, (the hard way I might add) that a jet drive system makes the stern go the opposite direction of the steering wheel when in reverse. First time I backed off the trailer, I felt the need to add power to back off, and not knowing that the stern would react opposite of my input, I slammed the rear of the boat into the dock as I continued to add power trying to make it go the other direction...my brain wasn't working out the problem, relying on my muscle memory from prop-engine stern-drive outboards I've had and operated all my life. Fortunately, there was no damage, and I learned a valuable lesson that I am sharing with you and anyone else that reads this... LOL!

Did that too my first time coming back into dock as well!! My brain was so used to stern drive / trucks - yes its the opposite direction - slammed it into a railing on the dock - ouch!! (But I learned how to properly repair fiberglass - looks same as new) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back