Reputable engine rebuilders?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashby

Looking for someone to do a full rebuild on my 96 GTi. Was in the process of winterizing it when the fogging oil straw blew out of the spray can and into the PTO cylinder. :facepalm:

Pulled the head, broke a bolt and found two pieces of the straw. I have no idea where the other piece is so I assume it's in the crankcase. After I pulled the head I could wiggle the pistons inside the cylinders. So it's definitely time to rebuild.

Well if you wanna go the cheap and affordable route, exchange your core with SBT and you'll get a good deal and a warranty.. However, I've heard on here that SBT might not be the BEST bc they weld certain parts? Someone else can probably elaborate on that side of it.. But otherwise I think some ppl recommend FullBore

It would help us to know what part of the US you are located. It makes a big difference on shipping costs.

From personal experience I only have good things to say about SBT, I have a rebuilt 787 premium with 2 year warranty, located in FL.

Also I have heard some good things about SES, a lot of guys on the forum have used them, SES had a bad reputation for taking too long, but that problem has somewhat been solved, located in PA.

Lou

Definitely don't think that the problems with SES has been solved. I just finally got my engine back from warranty work because it blew a piston after he just rebuilt it. First time I got it back 7 weeks after I sent it in, rode it for about 15 hours then piston blew. Then sent it
Back in on 7/24 and got it back on like the 19th of September. Apparently it had a crack in the case when he pressure tested it, made me wonder if it got pressure tested the first time or not. To his credit, he did fix the case no charge, but it now has a different upper case half tht doesn't match the bottom half. Won't ride it again til next year probably so we will just see how it works.

I've had good luck w/SES.

Correct, the turn around time feels like a while. I'm not sure why they don't adopt SBTs method if all the engines are the same, but whatever.

I've now run at least 3 from them. All run 100% dead on match to a stock 951 w/25 hrs on it.

This was what I was referring to in regards to SBT and welding:

Sportster-2001-951C-Stock

SeadooForum Hall of fame

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watercrafts:2001 Sportster LE 951 Carbed
Thumbs Up:Received: 123 Given: 38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Captain RonJon View Post

yeah I thought I read that somewhere here - why don't they anyway? If it's being rebuilt anyway, why does it matter?
My understanding is SBT automatically bores cylinder out beyond everyone else and SBT also welds the cranks, so remaning an SBT requires more parts.

Definitely don't think that the problems with SES has been solved. I just finally got my engine back from warranty work because it blew a piston after he just rebuilt it. First time I got it back 7 weeks after I sent it in, rode it for about 15 hours then piston blew. Then sent it
Back in on 7/24 and got it back on like the 19th of September. Apparently it had a crack in the case when he pressure tested it, made me wonder if it got pressure tested the first time or not. To his credit, he did fix the case no charge, but it now has a different upper case half tht doesn't match the bottom half. Won't ride it again til next year probably so we will just see how it works.

I am glad that you have a warranty and that they backed their work but I have been in the motorcycle and watercraft industry since the early 90's and one thing that was always made very clear by the manufacturer's is that case halves are a machined and matched pair and should never be interchanged. If one is bad they are both bad. I can't say if you will have any problems or comment on SES's work but it is just "one of those things" I have heard you don't do and would not do myself.

Well, I have 2 engines that need to be done and after spending countless hours reading here and speaking at length with both SES and Fullbore, mine will be going to Fullbore. Both websites have good information - I think Fullbore does a better job explaining what they do, how they do it, and why they think they are better. And it's not like they are so much more expensive, they aren't. So for my money and the same 2 year no fault warranty, I'm rolling the dice with Fullbore but I feel very good about it. It seems to be a common thread though that if you need it fast, SBT is the way. In my case, it's offseason and I don't care if it takes a few months. In any case, there are many varied opinions and experiences here and you should speak with any shop you are thinking about using, it's your hard earned $$ and you should at least have a good feeling about where it's going!

I went with Full Bore for my 787 engine earlier this year. I posted in more detail on the other thread, but long story short I am definitely 100% satisfied so far. If you need a quick turnaround time, go with SBT. Otherwise, I truly believe Full Bore is the way to go for top quality, and the price is about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back