Replacing Touch Screen Control Panel - 2012 Sea-Doo 210 Wake 430

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlooMK

The touchscreen in my 210 Wake went out. If you jiggle it just right, it comes back on but only momentarily. The screen has bubbling around the edges which I've read means it's shot. We've talked to our dealer as well as online parts distributors and Sea-Doo directly. They all say the part has been discontinued and is not available anywhere (even though it's still listed for sale on some of the parts sites). No luck on ebay or other sites. I've reached out to the manufacturer, Medallion Instrumentation Systems, and they said the part is obsolete and there is no replacement. I am waiting to hear back from them to see if there is anything else that can be done.

Additionally, we had a local electronics repair guy take a look at it and he was able to get it functioning more stably. However, it still goes out often enough to make the boat unusable. Perhaps, if all else fails, we'll bring it back there and have him give it another go.

Anyway, thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone can help me.

My question is, is there any possibility an aftermarket control panel, maybe from a different manufacturer (jardum.com or something similar), could be retrofitted into the boat? Is there any standardization when it comes to boat infotainment systems? Can the wires behind the dash be identified and plugged into a different system that also controls audio, speed, navigation, ballast tanks, etc? I'm not expecting plug and play, just wondering if it's possible. Is it worth contacting someone like Jardum about retrofitting?

I realize I'm grasping at straws, but as of now we have a $20K paperweight sitting in our yard. Is there anything I'm missing that could help? All advice is appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

The part number is 278002612. However, don't trust the parts sites that let you look up parts using the diagrams. They don't necessarily have parts even if you're able to add them to your cart and check out. I double checked with one site by calling them and they said they didn't have it. I know others who've had similar experiences.

Have you inquired about swapping out to an "analog" SE gauge cluster? I would think that would be an option.

Have you inquired about swapping out to an "analog" SE gauge cluster? I would think that would be an option.
Thanks for the idea! I hadn't thought of that, so I will check with my dealer. However, I don't think the analog cluster would show things like ballast capacity like the touch screen does. I imagine there would be some other lost functionality as well. But if it means I can use the boat, maybe it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the idea! I hadn't thought of that, so I will check with my dealer. However, I don't think the analog cluster would show things like ballast capacity like the touch screen does. I imagine there would be some other lost functionality as well. But if it means I can use the boat, maybe it's worth a shot.

Yeah you're definitely gonna lose some functionality, but it may get you up and running and also be the most compatible alternative if you can't fix or find a replacement for your current touch display. Kinda sucks that you got left stranded on an 8 year old boat due to a broken display that controls your entire boat.

Just thought I'd post an update.

My dad got suspicious of the wiring harness connector having a loose connection. There are three plugs on the back of the screen and, after we fiddled with all three, it seemed that the ground wire (see service manual for wiring guide) on the middle plug was making the screen go out just by moving it. So we pulled apart the connector to access that wire, which was quite a process. Each wire within the connector has its own female receptacle crimped on and the connector just keeps the receptacles lined up properly. The receptacles have a metal piece folded into them from the front that acts as a spring to keep the connection tight. Just by eyeballing the ground wire, it seemed that this piece was bent down further than it should be. So, we pried it upwards a bit and that made a visible difference. We put everything back together and the screen now stays on! I did some tugging on the wire and the screen stayed on the whole time.

So, we have a working boat....for now.

My theory is that we actually had multiple problems. There was the ground wire issue and then we think there was an issue inside the screen itself. The electronics guy said that a ribbon cable was damaged and he fixed that. The screen housing is formed in a way that completely seals it. It's nothing but plastic, no screws or anything. However, the previous owner obviously had issues with the screen as well because it had been dremeled open. In fact, the electronics guy thinks he remembers working on it. But when it was put back together, they just used tape to seal it up. We used super glue and tape this time to hopefully avoid jiggling.

If anyone stumbles upon this posting in the future, I'm still interested in the answer to my original question above. Especially since I'm not sure how long our fix will last. Thanks!

Just thought I'd post an update.

My dad got suspicious of the wiring harness connector having a loose connection. There are three plugs on the back of the screen and, after we fiddled with all three, it seemed that the ground wire (see service manual for wiring guide) on the middle plug was making the screen go out just by moving it. So we pulled apart the connector to access that wire, which was quite a process. Each wire within the connector has its own female receptacle crimped on and the connector just keeps the receptacles lined up properly. The receptacles have a metal piece folded into them from the front that acts as a spring to keep the connection tight. Just by eyeballing the ground wire, it seemed that this piece was bent down further than it should be. So, we pried it upwards a bit and that made a visible difference. We put everything back together and the screen now stays on! I did some tugging on the wire and the screen stayed on the whole time.

So, we have a working boat....for now.

My theory is that we actually had multiple problems. There was the ground wire issue and then we think there was an issue inside the screen itself. The electronics guy said that a ribbon cable was damaged and he fixed that. The screen housing is formed in a way that completely seals it. It's nothing but plastic, no screws or anything. However, the previous owner obviously had issues with the screen as well because it had been dremeled open. In fact, the electronics guy thinks he remembers working on it. But when it was put back together, they just used tape to seal it up. We used super glue and tape this time to hopefully avoid jiggling.

If anyone stumbles upon this posting in the future, I'm still interested in the answer to my original question above. Especially since I'm not sure how long our fix will last. Thanks!

Good catch, this is actually pretty common. KISS goes a long way in a marine environment.

The touchscreen in my 210 Wake went out. If you jiggle it just right, it comes back on but only momentarily. The screen has bubbling around the edges which I've read means it's shot. We've talked to our dealer as well as online parts distributors and Sea-Doo directly. They all say the part has been discontinued and is not available anywhere (even though it's still listed for sale on some of the parts sites). No luck on ebay or other sites. I've reached out to the manufacturer, Medallion Instrumentation Systems, and they said the part is obsolete and there is no replacement. I am waiting to hear back from them to see if there is anything else that can be done.

Additionally, we had a local electronics repair guy take a look at it and he was able to get it functioning more stably. However, it still goes out often enough to make the boat unusable. Perhaps, if all else fails, we'll bring it back there and have him give it another go.

Anyway, thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone can help me.

My question is, is there any possibility an aftermarket control panel, maybe from a different manufacturer (jardum.com or something similar), could be retrofitted into the boat? Is there any standardization when it comes to boat infotainment systems? Can the wires behind the dash be identified and plugged into a different system that also controls audio, speed, navigation, ballast tanks, etc? I'm not expecting plug and play, just wondering if it's possible. Is it worth contacting someone like Jardum about retrofitting?

I realize I'm grasping at straws, but as of now we have a $20K paperweight sitting in our yard. Is there anything I'm missing that could help? All advice is appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

The part number is 278002612. However, don't trust the parts sites that let you look up parts using the diagrams. They don't necessarily have parts even if you're able to add them to your cart and check out. I double checked with one site by calling them and they said they didn't have it. I know others who've had similar experiences.

I have the EXACT same problem with my 2012 210 Wake. First it was the GPS that went out so Ski Mode wouldn't work, now it is the entire screen.

How did you remove the console? I tried the obvious which was the 4 allen wrench looking screws but all they did was spin and not come out. Is there a trick on removing the touchscreen so I can check the wire harness?

I have the EXACT same problem with my 2012 210 Wake. First it was the GPS that went out so Ski Mode wouldn't work, now it is the entire screen.

How did you remove the console? I tried the obvious which was the 4 allen wrench looking screws but all they did was spin and not come out. Is there a trick on removing the touchscreen so I can check the wire harness?

Do you not have access from behind the starboard bow cushion backrest?

There's nuts on the backside that you have to get a vise-grip or something on. You'll have to crawl in from behind the front starboard backrest. I recommend piling a bunch of life-jackets up in that compartment so you have something to lean or lie on.

The Medallion is allegedly made by Vyper alarms. I would hope Rotax uses the NMEA 2000 or 0183 standards, but I’m pretty sure they don’t or else people would change out the Medallion screen for Garmin or Simrad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back