Remove 99 speedster arm rest ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

To2d

I need to remove the drivers arm rest on my 99 speedster to fix a few staples that have come loose. I can tell the plastic under the rest has a few cracks so I need to be careful.

How do you remove the drivers arm rest and any trick to reinstalling?

It's just pushed on. There are those black plastic Christmas trees with a washer under the head that would be on a card for panel back in the day. You need to be extremely careful. The gray plastic is kind cheap. The staples are so close together the actually we're probably all cracked from the factory. You will have no extra material to work with since they cut the excess of linearly right behind the staples. So if it's just lifting I wouldn't touch it. If you want to wait a few days I can take a pic of mine so you can see what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the delay

You can see they split right at the staples.
177.jpg
6ac22b261d117e5e27018b960145e510.jpg
aaa83e289c7c03a91bd024491095fa20.jpg
178.jpg

Awesome info and pictures.
I have some automotive interior removal tools I can use.

Once I get it off any thoughts on reattaching the fabric to the plastic?

I have lost a few staples and it bugs me so much because the rest of the boat is super clean and in great shape

Mine is completely gone, any idea where I can find a new one? Or will I need someone to fabricate one for me?

Pull the loose staples out and enjoy the boat.

You can not fix the plastic that is there, gonna have to be new. It's a sheet of PVC and it's molded (by heat and a press I'm sure) to fit the contour. There is zero room to re-stretch the vinyl to staple in a new area. Mine is cracked too, I would love to fix it, but haven't come up with a solid way to do it. If you do, please share.

Any ideas on where I can get a replacement? I have looked online and failed but might not being looking in the right places.

It happened!!! One of the kids used the already fractured arm rest to pull the boat and made it a lot worst. POP!!! Armrest is almost ripped all the way off.

When reinstalling the arm rest sits funny with all the breaks in the plastic. And has even more staples sticking out.

Image1533097574.424446.jpg

Here is my idea...seeing how these arm rest are impossible to find. Can I remove all the plastic from the foam and with an adhesive, glue the foam wrapped vinyl to the arm rest location?

IMG_1612.JPG

If so what would be the best adhesive for the job and how would I prep?

It happened!!! One of the kids used the already fractured arm rest to pull the boat and made it a lot worst. POP!!! Armrest is almost ripped all the way off.

When reinstalling the arm rest sits funny with all the breaks in the plastic. And has even more staples sticking out.

View attachment 37070

Here is my idea...seeing how these arm rest are impossible to find. Can I remove all the plastic from the foam and with an adhesive, glue the foam wrapped vinyl to the arm rest location?

View attachment 37071

If so what would be the best adhesive for the job and how would I prep?
Another possible option/project is to buy a sheet of kydex. I've used it to heat mold holsters. If you lay the sheet over the armrest area and apply heat with a heat gun you could mold a new base plate and then attach the foam and upholstery. Just need to match up and drill the holes for the posts.

Last edited:
Thank you Squad1 for finding me that on Ebay

It looks like these are the same shape and have the same three pins in the same places.

I will need to drill a 4th hole for the extra pin BUT i am excited that it has an extra support pin.

I bought it and will post the install once it comes

Interested to see if it's right. It looks like it has a piece by the 4 that's bent 90°. Although from the top it looks similar. One of these days I might make one from fiber glass.

Interested to see if it's right. It looks like it has a piece by the 4 that's bent 90°. Although from the top it looks similar. One of these days I might make one from fiber glass.

It looks like that might be an optical illusion from the camera angle.
Here’s mine “that I zip tied to the best of my ability to match the picture” and it does the same thing as in the picture.

View attachment 37088

Attachments

• IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    526.9 KB · Views: 22
It Worked!!! New Arm rest installed. “Had to drill one hole.”

***Rest is the same size! Sorry if the pictures make the new look bigger(camera angle)

Here is the install with the new arm rest.
IMG_1640.JPGIMG_1641.JPGIMG_1642.JPGIMG_1644.JPGIMG_1645.JPGIMG_1646.JPG

And...Thanks squad1 for the find!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back