Reliable 4 stroke

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetjon

Hey guys I'm currently running a 717 engine in a 16x48 Jon boat. I'm thinking maybe this winter I might build another boat. Was wanting to go with a 4 stroke this time. Was wondering which motor you would recommend and what yrs and models the motor came in. From what I've read so far it seems the 155 has been pretty reliable. Any thoughts?

155 is great and there are plenty of them. I personally like the 900cc ACE motor found in those sparks. They're also closed circuit cooling, but much smaller (max of 90hp). It would be the same HP as your 717 and not much heavier, but probably cost more than a 155, as 155's were made from 2003 and up. Yamaha is more reliable than seadoo though (sorry my seadoo peeps). The MR1 engine was 1000cc 4 cyl and wound out to like 10000rpm at 140hp. That'll turn your boat into a rocket ship. Yamas are also better on fuel. Avoid supercharged seadoo motors as they're more problematic and require expensive maintenance of the sc every 100hr.

I appreciate people's honest opinion. This 717 is my first jet ski motor. So I'm not necessarily tied to a particular brand. And I'm not much of a mechanic, but I work on this motor about every 3rd trip to the river. But I've learned alot. And still learning. Thanks for the info and I'll be checking on those motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back