Reading Key/ Won't Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig.Z.

Have a 2012 RXT 260 that had been running great all summer. Went to start ski after sitting about a week and with no key inserted I get reading key on display and will not start. Cleaned relay, ECM, and battery fuse of any corrosion and still no start. Cleaned key also. Anything else I can do try try to get ski running?

Sorry, what you wrote is very confusing to me....."with no key inserted reading key on display".....what do you mean by this.....is the key installed OR NOT?

Unless you are saying that the ski is stuck in some state where the display is saying it is reading the key? meaning the ski is awake with no input from you? That doesn't make any sense, unless the ski thinks a key is attached and is trying to read it or is there a key nearby that the ski is trying to pick up perhaps.... I'm not familiar with the 2012...does it have the RFID DESS?

Display is stuck in a state saying it is reading key with no key inserted. Not sure if it’s the RFID DESS. It has the post with ring and small magnet I believe that you push on. Have cleaned that also. I have to pull the 30 amp relay to stop fuel pump from running. Was going to purchase new one to see what happens

Display is stuck in a state saying it is reading key with no key inserted. Not sure if it’s the RFID DESS. It has the post with ring and small magnet I believe that you push on. Have cleaned that also. I have to pull the 30 amp relay to stop fuel pump from running. Was going to purchase new one to see what happens

OH ok, got it now. Your ski has an active short somewhere....it should not be running the fuel pump until you insert the key and the display should not be active until you either press the SS button or insert the key. Also, you have the old DESS system, newer models use a round ball post RFID DESS key that snaps onto the ball post (ball and socket arrangement).

First order of business is to start checking all your electrical connections for possible corrosion that is feeding power to the MPEM.....is your battery draining down? In this state it should be.

Possibly. Couple of thing that I haven’t checked for corrosion are the bus bars in fuse box and checking connections under handle bars. Some people have had luck with cleaning those things and ski works fine again. I do press the SS button to wake up display and that’s where I have issues. Won’t shut down for a long period of time.

Possibly. Couple of thing that I haven’t checked for corrosion are the bus bars in fuse box and checking connections under handle bars. Some people have had luck with cleaning those things and ski works fine again. I do press the SS button to wake up display and that’s where I have issues. Won’t shut down for a long period of time.

Yeah...something is not right.....salt water rider or fresh water? Not that it matters as moisture is insidious...but salt water corrosion is faster and more damaging.....your problem definately feels electrical in nature and it shouldn't cost you anything but time and patience to sort it out...good luck/happy hunting. Electric gremlins are a PITA though:confused:

Update. So after trying to clean bus bars which are a pain to get out because of corrosion the ski still wouldn’t start. It’s actually worse now. Gauge cluster has no display whatsoever and just getting a clicking noise from starter solenoid. Pulling ski out of water then pulling battery to test to see if any good anymore.

Update. So after trying to clean bus bars which are a pain to get out because of corrosion the ski still wouldn’t start. It’s actually worse now. Gauge cluster has no display whatsoever and just getting a clicking noise from starter solenoid. Pulling ski out of water then pulling battery to test to see if any good anymore.
I feel your pain brother.....you were trying to clean the electrics while in the water? that's a chore and a half....OH well, end of season is approaching quickly so get her on dry land and give her the love...you'll get it sorted out.....just be patient as sometimes they don't wanna go quietly :cool::thumbs-up::wink: Throwing good luck at ya!

I have the same model 2012 RXT-260. In some of the threads there was talk of weak magnets in the key.
I was getting the same response, at times you press START, see "Reading...", put key on post, and it doesn't see it.
I did the same and when it said reading w/key on post, I tried a magnet on top of key to prove the magnet in the key was bad, and it was going bad. Got a new key, issue went away.
B-T-W, I have a CanDooPro (No, I don't work for them) so the new key from them was $32 and I programmed it myself.
More $$ if you need a dealer to diagnose and program the problem.
Good Luck

Thanks for the info. Will make it one of my next steps. Weather is hindering getting ski out of the water.

So I finally got ski out of water, pulled battery, charged it and reinstalled it. Also changed all the fuses and still got reading key. How do I go about getting a key from CanDooPro?

I have the same model 2012 RXT-260. In some of the threads there was talk of weak magnets in the key.
I was getting the same response, at times you press START, see "Reading...", put key on post, and it doesn't see it.
I did the same and when it said reading w/key on post, I tried a magnet on top of key to prove the magnet in the key was bad, and it was going bad. Got a new key, issue went away.
B-T-W, I have a CanDooPro (No, I don't work for them) so the new key from them was $32 and I programmed it myself.
More $$ if you need a dealer to diagnose and program the problem.
Good Luck

When put a magnet above key did you get a resistance? I did. Does that mean key is going bad? If so, how did you go about programming new key? Thanks for a reply.

When put a magnet above key did you get a resistance? I did. Does that mean key is going bad? If so, how did you go about programming new key? Thanks for a reply.

You don't program the key, the key has a ROM chip already in it that gets programmed to the MPEM (ski's) memory. The only way to do that is by having a CanDoo programmer (either your own or done by a dealer who has the system). You can buy your own CanDoo device ($400.00 thereabouts, I think) with a personal ONE use license (they are regulated by BRP) which is pricey or just take your new key and the ski to the dealer and the dealer can mate the key to the ski (and wipe out any old keys from the MPEM memory).

If you buy the key from the dealer, he may program the key to the ski for free or for a nominal fee.

Update again. Turned out to be a bad pin under fuse box that powered the 15 amp fuse to the ECM. Fifth teen minute fix from a good mechanic I bought ski from. To all the people who live in NJ, do not take or buy anything from Surf City Marina on L.B.I. Tried to bait me for thousands of dollars for unnecessary work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back