Reading key, screen won’t turn off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Parkerscheppele

I have a 2011 gtx is 260 and last week was the first time I took it out this year. Battery was slightly dead the screen came on but needed a quick jump to turnover. Rode it for about 10-15 minutes parked it. Came back next week and it just says reading key and the screen won’t turn off unless I disconnect battery terminal. I replaced the fuses for ibr, ibr control, ecu, start stop. Put the jump box back on it but didn’t make a difference it just kept saying reading key. I would say it could be dess key post maybe but why wouldn’t the screen turn off. Maybe battery but it didn’t make a difference jumping it. Jumping it worked the first time but not this time. Could possibly be the ecu/harness but I had that replaced not too long ago. Doesn’t make sense why the screen won’t turn off though.

Usually oddball screen issues like you are describing end up being a bad ECM. The best way to kill a ECM is from jumping the battery with an outside power source including a jump box. If you read your BRP operators manual that is supplied with your ski it is warned there not to jump or charge your ski with battery installed in the ski. Always first step when dealing with electrical issues to make sure your battery is fully charged and can supply the load it's rated for. You are getting electrical current to the screen when not desired which is part of the start/charging circuits. I bad diode in the regulator/rectifier can cause a back flow of current directly from the battery like you are describing and the diodes can be tested.

Usually oddball screen issues like you are describing end up being a bad ECM. The best way to kill a ECM is from jumping the battery with an outside power source including a jump box. If you read your BRP operators manual that is supplied with your ski it is warned there not to jump or charge your ski with battery installed in the ski. Always first step when dealing with electrical issues to make sure your battery is fully charged and can supply the load it's rated for. You are getting electrical current to the screen when not desired which is part of the start/charging circuits. I bad diode in the regulator/rectifier can cause a back flow of current directly from the battery like you are describing and the diodes can be tested.
dang I’ve never heard of not being able to jumpstart anything. I did it once before on this ski but I bought it used so never got the manual. So am I going to have to get a new ecm? How hard and how much is that gonna be?

I would start with a new fully charged battery, Seadoo's do not like weak batteries. Download a service and operators manual and troubleshoot the electrical start/charging system. The ECM is usually last because its expensive and needs dealer software to install.

bought a new battery ski started right up. Rode it all day starting and stopping. Went to leave the island and nothing at all. Basically like if there weren’t a battery in it. Positive and negative are tight, the battery has full charge I checked with a volt meter. Not really sure what it could be.

If your sure nothing is discharging the battery it now sounds like the typical 30 amp relay is bad, or the start circuit is faulty which includes the 30 amp relay circuit, the start/stop switch, and the ECM. I would start with the relay either test it or replace it.

bought a new battery ski started right up. Rode it all day starting and stopping. Went to leave the island and nothing at all. Basically like if there weren’t a battery in it. Positive and negative are tight, the battery has full charge I checked with a volt meter. Not really sure what it could be.
I'm having the exact same issue. Took my ski out a few weeks ago after it sat for several months. Turned it over at home prior to leaving for the dock and it fired up. Got to the dock and it kept turning over but wouldn't start, felt like it was down 1 cylinder when it finally cranked up. Rode for a few minutes to see if it would correct itself but it didn't so I came home.

Few days later I tried cranking and it had zero power at the dash. I replaced coils, voltage regulator, starter relay, checked all fuses, battery is 12.3v, removed and cleaned bus bars, cleaned starter solenoid. After replaced the relay and cleaning a corroded connector (purple/black wire) I got power back to the dash but no spark. I did test the starter by jumping the solenoid and it turns over that way. Checked main harness connection it's good.

Now the dash won't turn off and the check engine light and reading key message are on even though there is no key connected to it. Hopefully I didn't fry my ECM when I connected a battery charger to the ski before my ride.

Back