Re-ringing the 657 without honing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

One1

1994 SPX 657

I had my top end off to replace a complete jug, piston, and rings on the back. The front still had good compression, but not good enough to be within the percentage needed between the two cylinders to maintain minimal difference. Upon inspection, the used jug still has cross hatching for the most part. The measurements seem to suggest that minimal wear has taken place. I couldn't find a replacement piston, but the used one has nearly no wear. I simply re-ringed the piston with SeaDoo OEM rings and put it back in.

I have no machine shop within 100 miles of me so it really boils down to my only option. I tried to find another brand new OEM SeaDoo jug, piston, and rings like I did for the back...... but after 9 months+ I've never seen another one I got lucky when I got the back one. I was only going to do it to make sure everything was brand new, but it's not necessary to do.

I'll include a few pics of the cylinder and piston, but basically I'm just looking for information about making sure it will be ok and seating the rings properly ( I do not know the break in procedure for this engine). I've built several 2 stroke motorcycle engines, first time with my Jet Ski.

As you can see the cylinder has some discoloring on the walls, but i'm guessing this is either from sitting for many years or cheap oil. It was put back into service before I bought it and had been ran an unknown number of times. The cylinder is very smooth despite it's looks, and still has cross hatching. It looks like it would be rough, but I can't feel anything running my nail over it.

There is a mix of the new jug and the old jug in these pics. I'm only including both for reference on the cross hatching comparison. The old jug in the front of the engine has the discolored walls. There are 2 pics of it.

Attachments

• U3YJ1srzR02pYcnSDhd33w.jpg
    U3YJ1srzR02pYcnSDhd33w.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 0aa2bkSPT2yLGNNMY5VBGg.jpg
    0aa2bkSPT2yLGNNMY5VBGg.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • vK1GdFDMRDSz+xIhwp3tCA.jpg
    vK1GdFDMRDSz+xIhwp3tCA.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • icUnES0ySzWOTFJpCkxfcg.jpg
    icUnES0ySzWOTFJpCkxfcg.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • UqhZjz9MQL+iAkhjin3r6Q.jpg
    UqhZjz9MQL+iAkhjin3r6Q.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • MUw%6i+nQE2AJ8ghRk1hSA.jpg
    MUw%6i+nQE2AJ8ghRk1hSA.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Here is the used piston, as you can see there is nearly no wear on it at all. This is to show the indicator of how little wear the front jug has, and why I didn't think too much of just putting new rings in. Also, side question..... the OEM seadoo rings I ordered came with black sides, and the OEM rings that came in the jug, piston, rings combo I bought 9 months ago have a stainless edge. Does that matter much to my wear pattern?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.38.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.38.34 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.38.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.38.42 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.38.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.38.58 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.39.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.39.05 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
That is not the correct way to do it so there is really nothing we can tell you. Mixing used and new parts and not actually boring and fitting new pistons and rings to fresh bored cylinders isn't proper procedures.
If nothing else I would hit it with a ball hone.

For break in just be easy on it for the first tank of fuel and add 50:1 premix for the first tank in addition to the oil injection.

I would stick with Seadoo mineral oil for your ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back