RE:Compression test

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

solaria

Hi, relatively new to site. New to PWC.... Check out a SeaDoo today. Its a 2001 SeaDoo GTX 125hrs. Its in Canada, it's been sitting in a garage for approx. 3-4 months winterized. Unable to test in water but i did check compression (engine cold).
I had a reading of 120psi in one cylinder & 121psi in another (check 3 times with throttle wide open). I was under the impression it should be up to 135 psi. Is this a sign of trouble or just the fact that the engine is
1. cold
2.battery may not be fully charge.
3. its winterized.
4. sitting for 4 months.
5. This is normal & since the psi are the same just normal wear.

Looking to buy any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Ideally the compression should be 150 psi. If you had 1 cylinder say 90 and the other was 120psi, then you might have problems. It seems a little low bit it isn't that bad for an engine that's dry and not run in a while. At 90psi, it's time for a tear down.

Karl

ideal compression for a 951 is 135lbs.

Double-check your battery volts and your gauge for that matter. I think your gauge is off by 10lbs.

yes verify with a second gauge and maybe give her a squirt of oil in cylinder to get those rings to seal
and what is the rule of thumb for compression between cylinders?
no more than 5% or 10% difference between cylinders?
i dont think you will have any issuses, but when you fire her up,
run for a bit on flush , then re-do your comp check
mud

Thanks for the prompt reply. The guage is brand new although not very expensive. Will ask the individual to ensure the battery is fully charge. What affect would this have on the sea-doo if it remains at 120 PSI. (ie not able to reach top speed). New to sea-doo so all the help is appreciated. Thanks

125 I think you'll be fine.

You might want to worry about other things:

Like condition of the seat, hull, pump? reverse gate??

any repairs on the pipe?

Inside of the hull clean?

Cover in good shape??

Does it appear regular maintenance has been done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back