Rattling Noise 2007 Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerOne

I just finished changing the oil on my 2007 Challenger. Before changing the manual says to bring the oil to operating temp and run at 4000 rpm for several minutes. I attempted this and at about 2500 rpm there was a strange rattling noise I think coming from the impeller, so I shut it down. Any ideas what this might be? Bought the boat last year and put about 10 hrs on it since purchase.

Sea Doo do have a "rattle" when they are running out of the water. Without hearing it personally I can't be 100 percent sure. But it sounds like the normal Sea Doo rattle to me.

I agree with gb, mine sounds the same. I have twin engines & both have a slightly different pitch of rattle which I pay attention to but doesn’t seem to be an issue or fault of any damage that I can tell

As everyone else mentioned, it's fairly normal. I think it maybe from the slack in the reverse bucket system rattling a bit from the impeller vibrations. But as @JPass mentioned, several seconds, not minutes.

It's the impeller splines ratting and it's normal on all PWC. You can run it for up to 5 minutes on the hose to warm up the oil.

Chester

Sea Doo do have a "rattle" when they are running out of the water. Without hearing it personally I can't be 100 percent sure. But it sounds like the normal Sea Doo rattle to me.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the help I thought it was probably normal but confirmation helps. I love this boat!!

I hope you meant hold it at 4000 RPM for seconds, not minutes.

I was going by the service manual. Thanks for the help. It talks about turning the engine over without starting and I decided not to do that:). Just curious how high should the water hose be turned on when starting outside the water, I just get it to where it runs out the back. Thanks again

I was going by the service manual. Thanks for the help. It talks about turning the engine over without starting and I decided not to do that:). Just curious how high should the water hose be turned on when starting outside the water, I just get it to where it runs out the back. Thanks again

My service manual states to warm up the motors, then run at 4K RPM for 10 seconds, then shut down. This is to pump oil from PTO into the oil pan so it can be extracted. Then you pump the oil out through the dipstick hole. Once drained, you put the boat in "Flood Mode" (basically shuts off fuel and spark) and crank motor for about 10 seconds to pump more oil into pan, then extract oil. You repeat the cranking 2 or 3 more times to fully drain the oil from the motor.

The water hose should only be used for warm up. The rest should be done without any water running.

If out of the water rattling at the back is normal. Should be on the hose to warm up. However when cranking more to retrieve more oil from the PTO is when you do not want it to start the engine! I am alone when doing it, so just wire the throttle valve wide open. I did start the engine once by mistake, and seemed to get away with it, but not good for the engine without oil. One thing I noticed is that some mechanics only need 3 litres to fill, whereas 4 come in the kit and are required if all the old oil is entirely removed. These mechanics are just too lazy and hurried to do it right (even though they are supposedly trained on these boats).
P.S. I have a valve on extended water hoses so I can open the water to cool the exhaust right after starting and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back