Random Shut Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

gioakjoe

So I have replaced the plugs changed filters emptied my gas tank, used new gas, and some times ruining the boat on the lake it just dies randomly. It always starts right back up with no problems, does it at all speed and rpm levels and some times it doesn't do it. Some days I go out and it gets me like 3 times in a row and other days ill be out all day and never happens. I thought I got past it caz it happened last year and then went like 5 outings with out it happening.

My main thinking is there is a short, I checked all the main power cables to make sure they are tight and not corroded. The battery is new and my smart craft meter says battery is always above 12v when on. It also doesn't give me any beeps or warnings when the boat shuts off.

My only guess is that my kill switch is getting some bleed over voltage maybe causing it to cut the engine for a second, if I cut this cable would this prevent the kill switch or will this prevent the engine from starting. I don't know if the engine is looking for voltage or the absence of voltage?

any ideas?

This kill on these boats is a ground. It's common for the lanyard to start to go bad... and just down the engine. Disconnect the lanyard... and see how it runs. You still have a kill on the key.

So Disconnected the emergency lanyard and took the boat out Saturday all day used almost a full tank of gas and it did not cut once. We did hang out at the Island for a long time with the stereo going and on the way back I got a low voltage warning, but it did not cut the boat off. my smart reader was telling me the voltage was dropping to 10v.

whats the minimum voltage the boat will work on?

If the battery is going out can the alternator not keep up or is this a sign of the alternator going bad?

This is my 2nd alternator I changed the first one the first year i got my boat about 4 years ago because it kept dropping a bearing and breaking my belts.

They will generally fire on 11v without an issue. (Assuming the battery is good) The ignition is a MAG... but the computer needs voltage to come to life. I highly recommend adding a second battery to avoid being stranded.

hey tony today i got a low voltage warning and my smartcraft is telling me i'm only getting 11.8 volts while engine is on. Pulling the e-stop lanyard wouldn't cause the alternator to not charge the battery would it? I think my alternator is dead its only 4 years old so just making sure what you thought?

It shouldn't. It's just a kill on the CDI's. But... let me double check the wiring for the Gen2 engine.

BUT... check your fuses on the engine. There is one for charging.

Nope.... the kill isn't tied into the charging at all. But, there is a fuseable link in the charge wire. SO... after you check the fuses... take your meter, and look for power on the main power cable on the alternator. (engine off) If you don't have voltage there... that fuseable link may be burnt.

There is also a "Sensing" wire, and you want to look for voltage on that. (the test is in the book)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back