Radio swap and LED light install on Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate490

I want to thank everyone who's involved in these forums, they've been a MASSIVE help for me!! Unfortunately I forgot to take before & during photos but I have lots of after photos. I recently swapped out the stock Jensen radio for a Kenwood, replaced the 2 rear speakers with Kicker 6.5's w/LED's. I also installed 2 of the same speakers in a new location up in the bow (my boat only came with 2 speakers). I saw that the "SE" model has them stock up in the bow and when I stuck my head up there I saw that it was pre-wired for speakers so all I had to do was cut new holes for them and hook em up. I put 2 new remotes in, one at the stern and one on the helm because I hate having no radio control and my wife is a terrible DJ :) So far it sounds awesome, way better than stock! I have a 10" sub on order but it's currently backordered so I'm patiently waiting and can't wait to install that. I swapped out the stock 12V cigarette lighter by the radio with a dual USB port with a voltage readout (also recommended on these forums) which I really like but it's super hard to see during the day when you're out on the water. I replaced all the courtesy lights with the blue LED's that have come so well recommend on Seadoo forum by a few people and I also have a bunch of LED cup holders to install but just haven't had the time. I'll probably tackle the cup holders and the sub at the same time. Thanks guys for all the recommendations!! Some pics:
191.jpg
192.jpg
193.jpg
194.jpg

I want to thank everyone who's involved in these forums, they've been a MASSIVE help for me!! Unfortunately I forgot to take before & during photos but I have lots of after photos. I recently swapped out the stock Jensen radio for a Kenwood, replaced the 2 rear speakers with Kicker 6.5's w/LED's. I also installed 2 of the same speakers in a new location up in the bow (my boat only came with 2 speakers). I saw that the "SE" model has them stock up in the bow and when I stuck my head up there I saw that it was pre-wired for speakers so all I had to do was cut new holes for them and hook em up. I put 2 new remotes in, one at the stern and one on the helm because I hate having no radio control and my wife is a terrible DJ :) So far it sounds awesome, way better than stock! I have a 10" sub on order but it's currently backordered so I'm patiently waiting and can't wait to install that. I swapped out the stock 12V cigarette lighter by the radio with a dual USB port with a voltage readout (also recommended on these forums) which I really like but it's super hard to see during the day when you're out on the water. I replaced all the courtesy lights with the blue LED's that have come so well recommend on Seadoo forum by a few people and I also have a bunch of LED cup holders to install but just haven't had the time. I'll probably tackle the cup holders and the sub at the same time. Thanks guys for all the recommendations!! Some pics:
191.jpg
192.jpg
193.jpg
194.jpg

Bro that looks amazing. I would love to do that to my boat. So far the only change I did in mine was the paint with plastidip. This way I can easily switch the colors on the go.
307.jpg

What model are the stereo remotes? Do you know the diameter? Wondering if I can put one in place of the factory remote that is on my SE but does not do anything because of the upgraded sound system.

What model are the stereo remotes? Do you know the diameter? Wondering if I can put one in place of the factory remote that is on my SE but does not do anything because of the upgraded sound system.

It is this one: NEW Kenwood KCA-RC55MR Wired Marine Boat Remote to KMR-700U KMR-550U KMR-700U https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013XR82N8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GlPlzb260VZCP

But it will only work with certain Kenwood radios. Visit Kenwood.com to see if your radio is compatible

Well I received the 10" subwoofer and amp and finally got a chance to install it. I can't believe how good it sounds!! Sub looks good but I drilled the mounting holes using the template and didn't think anything of the clocking position until I went to put the sub in. The "Kenwood" is crooked on the bottom, my OCD wants to re dill the holes and move it but my wife keeps telling me to just leave it.... I installed the amp on the back wall of the glove box but haven't taken any pics of it. It's pretty straight forward though.
255.jpg
256.jpg

And your head unit has 2 plugs for the remotes?

No, the head unit only has one remote plug. I had to order a “Y” in order to get 2 remotes to work. I also had to order extensions for the remote cables, the “Y” and extensions were kind of pricey (for a piece of wire) and painful to order but I love having remotes that give me Radio accessibility no matter where I am in the boat. All available on Amazon. (Sorry for the lat reply)

Looks great Nate ! I installed 4 of the same Kicker 6.5" s along with the Kicker 10" Sub and 2 Kicker 8" s in the stern and absolutely love the way they look and sound. You can't go wrong for the price either ! I will probably add one more 10" sub and install the LED lamps to match the speakers soon, love the blue !

Last edited:
Looking to upgrade the stock Clarion system to this set up. What was required to put the remote on the helm in? Could you splice it into the existing remote wire or did you have to run the Kenwood wire from the helm to the glove box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back