Race XPL

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to pass on the Q motor. David was very upfront and when I saw what needed to be done I had to pass. so, i'm back to a 'limited' setup again. once my parts get in from nick i'll post some more build pics.

I had the chance to get the whole machine but the guy that was selling it (guy before the guy david bought it from) was the typical sales guy who swore up and down it just needed a starter or bendix. LOL That and it was about a 10hr drive each way. Just too far apart to do the deal. Engine looked good from the ports but it didnt budge.

got my parts from Minnetonka - things looking good. ordered my pro-x 88.25mm pistons today - couldn't believe it, but Lorenz and jones is almost completely out of 951 pro-x pistons (88.5mm to 90mm sold out). good thing my black motor is currently at a stock bore and the score arks are fairly lite.

once I get my pistons in, and cylinder bored, i'll start assembly. of course it is 15 deg in nj and I have to clean the inside of the hull. should have done it when it was 65 deg a few weeks ago.

I just pressure washed an X4 on Sunday. Gotta seize the moment.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

JT came over yesterday and we worked a bit on my xpl, and an xpl he is rebuilding to sell this spring. We took the fuel selector and fuel tank out of his, and completely gutted the inside of mine. We trailered them down the street to the local diy car wash spray booth. All I can say is Super Clean works wonders. My engine compartment is not 100% perfect, but it is 1000x better than it was.

During the gutting process, I broke the head off one of the front engine mount bolts. I'm hoping some pb blaster, and a little heat from a heat gun will allow me to get it out with vice grips. I am ordering some odds and ends from Minnetonka today (gas tank straps, rear drive shaft seal carrier, 1/2" rxx water bypasses, rings for my skat nozzles) and then I can begin to actually work on this thing. 1st thing is to remove the stock mats & install the sponsons.

Pro-x pistons are in the mail, so the top end should be getting dropped off at the machine shop next week.

I'll post some better pics tonight of the empty hull - it was snowing when we power washed the hulls, so taking a bunch of detailed pics was not happening.

20160117_152443.jpg20160117_152458.jpg20160117_152510.jpg

This was necessary....
255.jpg

update...

bought a harbor freight blast cabinet to clean up all my nasty engine parts. Will post pics of it in a day or so.

got some parts from Minnetonka (tank straps, etc.) and setup the machine work necessary for my cylinders. I'm also going to have the front of my old 12vein milled to accept the oem 951 pump gasket.

hang tight, media blasting will begin in a few days.

Update.

got my blast cabinet setup. took a while, and I had to modify it with better parts for it to work well. after I got the blast cabinet setup, I decided to clean up some parts - which lead me to blasting everything that is going in the ski. turns out the Coffman pipe has a very very tough powdercoat, so I may just scuff it and paint it when the time comes.

got my extra thick cometic base gaskets, so the engine went to the machine shop for cylinder boring & decking.

when I stripped the hull, I broke a bolt in the front engine mounting plate insert. thought I could just heat it up and get it out, but it turns out it is actually broken at the insert plate inside the hull. So, now things will get delayed even more - as I have to send it to a mutual friend (Ross) to be repaired. I am really debating having the front under hood air vents glassed over and the top deck painted a new color while it is getting the engine mount insert repaired.

I also picked up some skidoo mxz reeds for my single pipe rxx rebuild

Im going to my powder coater Saturday morning if you want me to run your pipe up there with me I can check a price to strip it ,let me know ,worse case your pipe gets to take a relaxing ride thru the Bucks county country side lol

brad - thanks, but i'm thinking I may just try blasting it again.

maybe i'll get some different media. currently using aluminum oxide, and I read that there may be a better media for removing heavy powder coat.

I could always get some aircraft paint stripper from Walmart and use that first, then blast whatever doesn't come off.

Usually he strips my parts that have powder coating on them ,let me know if you change your mind Im gona be make several trips in the next few weeks

ok. when you go ask him the cost. if it is cheap I will drop the pipe off at your place in the next week or so and you can bring it to him the next time you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back