Question about Seadoo 150 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemike

I live in Alaska and we are looking at buying a 2008 Seadoo 150 Speedster with the 215hp engine. I know your thinking Alaska? .....but we run our jetskis year around just put on a drysuit, take a radio and epirb and we are on our way...always in pairs. I have never owned a Speedster and want your thoughts on durability and engine issues. We flush our bikes with fresh water each time we come back and I like the fact that the Speedsters have an enclosed coolant system.....thanks for any information!....mike

No prop

With no prop, you oughta be able to just slide right over ice sheets....LOL
I don't know of any Alaskans coming in with that type question. The only concern I'd have is that with the closed loop cooling, the heat exchanger (radiator) is in that ride plate on the bottom of the boat. If you hit a jagged piece of ice, it could be punctured.
I'd probably go with a boat using the 2 cycle engine, to eleminate the chance of ice damaging that piece.

I own a 200 speedster. I know the heat exchanger is pretty tough, but I'm not sure how it would be with Ice? If your buying from a local dealer I would ask his thoughts on it. If he is local than he would know from his experience from previous customers. He might even have a idea on how thick the metal is that they are made of. Keep us posted on your findings.

Karl

Thanks for the replys....I already have an 18' Boston Whaler w/250hp 4-stoke engine and a 27' Pilot Seasport w/350hp volva penta diesel so this boat is just for fun and to take the kids out wakeboarding, tubing or skiing. I live in Southeast Alaska on the ocean side and we don't have any ice here just big things like whales, sea lions and killer whales...which I try and avoid:) Just wondering the durability of these engines and if they need alot of upkeep. I have worked on both my engines and always use the original equipment, oil and parts.....I noticed that seadoo makes a specific oil for the rotax engines so I plan to order that from seattle and have it shipped up by boat. We live on an island with the nearest town 180 miles away and the only way in or out is by air or boat so parts/supplies are hard to get, also no seadoo dealer here, nearest one is in seattle 700 miles away. I already own a jetski which we use all the time we get some huge waves here and 5 cruise ships a day in the summer that we chase out the bay to jump there waves when they get movin....lots of fun. Would like to use this speedster for the same thing....jumpin waves and havin fun but with no dealer here....just wondering what type of service, aside from oil, filter, etc., needs to be done. Thanks again for the information I will keep you updated with pics and information from Alaska!
ps thanks for the forum lots of useful information here...

Mike it's great to have you as a member. I bought my 1997 challenger in sept. It has a 787 single engine 110 hp in it, it's a blast. I enjoyed it so much I bought a new 200speedster in January. I live and boat in the Gulf of Mexico so I really loved the idea of a inter-cooling system on the speedster. When I'm finished for the day I put it up on the lift and run the engines like 15-30 Seconds to flush the salt water from the stainless steel exhaust, give it a soapy wash, cover it and walk away. It has 2 4-tec 4 stroke engines naturally aspirated with a total of 310 HP, that are really easy to maintain. The idea from seadoo is to keep maintenance down and the fun up. Just add regular gas and go. I do all my own maintenance. I changed the oil and filters at the ten hour mark in like less than 30 minutes. I use a oil changer that sucks the oil from the dip stick. the filter is easy to get too also and cost about $12.95 each from K&N filters. All the 4-tec engines use the same oil filter. I use Seadoo 10w40 mineral oil that retails about $6.00 a qt. The o rings for the filter cap cost about $30.00 for each engine. Other than the break-in, every 100 hrs is recommended for oil change. This engine has 14 sensors that keep everything in check so less chance of engine failure. The mileage is better too, because everything is monitored by the sensors. No pre mixing gas and oil as it is a 4 stroke and it is super quiet. I hate what the salt water does to the engines, but with this new 4-tec I don't even think about it anymore. If you browse around the forum you'll see mostly problems, that's why people are here, to get answers. When you start looking on a regular basis you'll see very few 4-tec engines with problems. That means lots more fun and lots less spent on repairs. The acceleration is un believable! I think you'd be making the right choice buying the 150 speedster for all it has to offer.:)

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back