PWC Launch/Ramp Etiquette

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching this thread, but I haven't made a comment because I launch at a private ramp and don't have these problems. I keep my boat at a marina and the ramp there is for use only by boat owners who keep their boats at the marina. I launch my boat in the spring take it out in the fall. I do launch my PWC's on a regular basis but I don't ever recall having to wait on anyone or anyone waiting for me.

So I've been a little hesitant to post here, however. The most important thing is safety, I know at least at our lake no one gets in a hurry. The whole idea of going to the lake is to relax, have fun and relieve stress. So be careful, go at a comfortable pace, if someone doesn't like it just shrug it off, also if you think the person in front of you is going too slow just relax. Remember you're at the lake to have fun, you're not there to get upset.

Lou

I agree with Lou on this. Don't worry about the big line behind you, relax, and go slow enough so you don't make a mistake and end up damaging your vehicle, a ski, a person, etc. If someone is getting frustrated with you because you are having trouble then that is their problem, not yours. Eventually, it will all be very easy for you.

Most people are understanding if you are having trouble backing up or are showing other obvious signs of being new to it. Most people are not understanding if you are doing things on the ramp that should have been done in the parking lot like Dr. Honda pointed out.

We "might" go out Sunday, I am against it as it is a bad weekend to be on the water.

If I do go out, I will be sure to shoot some video and take some pictures of the ramp and surrounding area.

The problem here is the water. I have been around this area for over 20 years and lived here for 15, I liked the area so much 20 years ago I took steps to move here. It is breaking my heart what has happened and what continues to happen. I had to be sure my boat trailer is good because I have to tow 20 plus miles in order to launch into clean water now. :(

Read here:

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_9198.shtml

MY family took part in a human chain a couple of weeks ago that stretched for miles, sending a message to the local politicians that they are out of a job if they o not step up.

We are heading to Clewiston Florida in Sept to take part in a joint protest where the East and West coast of Florida are meeting up to send Big Sugar a message and put them on notice to stop lobbying and delaying solutions.

Back on topic.

Because of this, boat ramps 20 miles away North or South of here are slammed with a crush of boaters trying to go out and get away from the toxic water. This makes lines long and volume of boaters over the top. The parking lot last weekend was overflowing.

This makes going to the ramp tense.

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that man. I wish you the best.

I never knew algae could be so bad!?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that man. I wish you the best.

I never knew algae could be so bad!?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Sorry to hijack.

When you dump millions of gallons of polluted fresh water out of Lake Okeechobee for 4 months straight, removing all the salinity in the estuary and polluting the estuary with water from a very polluted lake. (Big Sugar and their fertilizer and pesticide) yeah, it will screw up the local waterways.

My younger son took a sailing camp this past summer before we were aware of the dumping. He got sick from contact with the water, sinus and ear infections.

Numerous reports of rashes and infections in eyes from splashed water while riding on PWC's.

Go out on the causeway on a Saturday and the waters are empty here, no one is out, no one is at the beach because it has worked its way into the ocean.

Here was the water quality last month:

http://www.floridaocean.org/uploads/docs/blocks/439/130725.pdf

I am trying to find a live link to the current quality.

edit here it is:

http://www.myfloridaeh.com/beach_sa...ary_MashUp7.html?County=Martin&Zip=34994-5060

Last edited by a moderator:
One quick note on etiquette, leave space for yourself and others to maneuver. Last week a guy pulled up behind me in the prep area as I was getting ready to launch. I had no way to know he was back there because he pulled up as I was closing my door. Luckily my wife was watching and I did not back into them. We both made the same mistake in not leaving enough room, me in that I had to back up a little, him in that he was to close to me.

I've been wanting to ask this, because it just came up Wednesday, when a guy was guying a GTX Hull off of me. but it applies to the ramp as much as trailer's in general....

my wife/daughter/buddies have a simple system when your "guiding" somebody down the ramp,,, I stand off to the drivers side where I can see the driver in the mirror and give the old hand wiggle, "keep coming, keep coming, etc" but when they get about maybe 6 feet from where I want them to stop, i spread my hands 6 feet wide and slowly close them down to touching when I want them to stop, which tells the driver of the car/trailer that they have 4 ft, 3 ft, 2 ft, 1ft, etc....

I can't stand when they just do the hand wiggle, "keep coming" right up to the last second then its "STOP !!!!" and your kind of slamming on the brakes, even if going only 1 mph.

does anybody else do what I do? and "guide them in by showing actual distance to the "stop point" ?

just curious.... its so helpful to the driver IMO to know how much further they need to back up.

I've been wanting to ask this, because it just came up Wednesday, when a guy was guying a GTX Hull off of me. but it applies to the ramp as much as trailer's in general....

my wife/daughter/buddies have a simple system when your "guiding" somebody down the ramp,,, I stand off to the drivers side where I can see the driver in the mirror and give the old hand wiggle, "keep coming, keep coming, etc" but when they get about maybe 6 feet from where I want them to stop, i spread my hands 6 feet wide and slowly close them down to touching when I want them to stop, which tells the driver of the car/trailer that they have 4 ft, 3 ft, 2 ft, 1ft, etc....

I can't stand when they just do the hand wiggle, "keep coming" right up to the last second then its "STOP !!!!" and your kind of slamming on the brakes, even if going only 1 mph.

does anybody else do what I do? and "guide them in by showing actual distance to the "stop point" ?

just curious.... its so helpful to the driver IMO to know how much further they need to back up.

Yup, that's the way we do it too.
Tim, check out the insurance thread.

Yup, that's the way we do it too.
Tim, check out the insurance thread.

good, i'm not crazy, i was backing my single up to another guys single to slide a ski over, and he didn't do that and it annoyed me, since I didn't know at what point i was going to take out a light.

Thought I should share a funny story. Rode my ski this morning. I practiced several evenings and followed the advice given here. It wasn't graceful but I got the trailer backed up the first time. I unhooked and prepared everything in the parking lot and docked my ski out of the way. Parked my car and hopped on ready to roll in less than 5 minutes.

As I grabbed my DESS key I felt weird and almost naked. I looked down and realized I forgot my life jacket! At least no one was out there.

I know this is a year old. We are new to PWC. Have 2 GTI's. My family of 5, a female cousin and my daughters boyfriend have it down! We have a launch and recovery down to 2 minutes. Riders are vested and ready to go before the back down. Unhooked pushed off and reversing away at PWC feet wet. On recovery I tell them which one needs to be on the right bunk for service / repair. They are ready at back down, give the signal and one comes in then the other. Hook up winch a little, recovered. The trailer gets pulled up a bit. bilge plugs pulled , then off to tie down area. Makes me proud they caught on so quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back