Pulling the trigger on a 2019 Sea-Doo GTX Limited 300 + Sound System...Comments?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slicker

Hey guys, I just joined the forum and would like to get any advice that may help with my first watercraft purchase. I lived on the Choctawhatchee Bay about 10 miles from the Destin Pass. My wife and I had our dock built about 2 years ago and have been thinking of getting a pontoon boat since we only have like 2 1/2' of water at high tide. I watched 3 pontoons brake free during hurricane Micheal so we've been a little hesitant about buying. A friend said we'd use a PWC 10 times more than a pontoon. I'm almost 60 and still have a need for speed, my wife wants to tour. It's a big buck to drop but way less than a boat.
I have questions about:
Warranties and insurance.
Extended warranties, if they're offered.
Maintenance, I'm sure the manual will cover this but, how much is there that needs to be done? Yearly maintenance costs?
Dos and don'ts.
My dock is about 6' off the bottom and I'll need a lift, any suggestions? Etc.
Thanks for your time and knowledge!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum. The GTX Limited is an expensive beast. I watched a review of it lately on Youtube and it is the king of the Sea-Doo! I can answer a few of your questions.

Insurance: you must get a good maritime insurance for your new ski (responsibility and damage). I don't know the cost in the USA but here, I am in the $350.00 yearly range for a much less expensive ski (a simple GTI 2018).

Warranty: I got lucky last year with my new ski as BRP gave me two years of warranty instead of one. At purchase, you are offered an extended warranty at the dealer. In your case, I would make sure I have at least two years (and even three). Unfortunately, these supercharged machines are more prone to failures/issues than more basic skis.

Maintenance: as a rule and to avoid issues, I am having the maintenance done by the dealer until the warranty is over. Then I am planning to do it by myself. You will need a cylinder kit to change the oil as well as a few tools. If you need to winterize your ski, you will also need a kit for that.

Do's and don't: I am not sure if your burn in period will be computer managed (depends on models) but follow exactly to the letter what your manual says. Start by not speeding for the first five hours and vary your speed frequently. Then go easy on it up to 10 hours. At 10 hours, you will be OK. Let it also warm up a few minutes before riding. Open the seat frequently in the first few hours and inspect the hull for anything abnormal (oil, coolant, water). Never ride in less than 3 feet of water (idle at 3 feet is OK). Also, if you want to keep a nice finish to the bottom of your ski, never beach it. Buy yourself an anchor (plenty of small models available). I followed a friend's recommendation years ago: first, attach the anchor to medium chain (same length of your ski) and then to some sinking marine rope (same length as your ski as well). Basically I bought the anchor and replaced the existing cheap rope. That way your anchor will remain firmly at the bottom unless waves and wind) are really big/strong. And don't flip your ski! People think its cool but it is not so cool because your hull will get dirty fast. Also if you are in saltwater, you will have to flush the water cooled portion (muffler) after every ride with the garden hose. Never turn on the hose before starting the engine and always turn off the hose before stopping the engine. Never let engine run for more than a minute, even with the hose. If your engine got wet, there are some sprays to repeal salt on the engine. I live in a clean and pure freshwater lake so I am less familiar with this step.

Boat lift: if you have the room a Sea-Doo lift is always a good solution. Mine is floating because I can't install a lift where I am (because it freezes hard where I live and I am docked against a cliff). There are also some floating mats that represent a good alternative (I may get one one day).

And have fun!

I just bought the 230 LTD w/sound in June. Great machine...you will love it and it looks really sharp. I have had a ton of compliments on it at the boat ramp and gas station. SeaDoo has the 3 year warranty running right now and dealer will offer up to an additional 5 year extended. I didn't bother with the extended as it was well over $1000. I have insurance through Progressive and it runs about $380/year including trailer coverage. I just did my 10 hour break-in service at dealer and it ran $380. It should then get serviced every 50 hours and I believe it runs about that same price for the service visits. I will be having the dealer do all of the service. Good advice from Benji in post above about the break-in and flushing. I think the computer does have some control during the first 10 hours (might be 5?).

One thing I noticed when running BT from your phone to the speakers (which are great btw) is that my phone shuts off due to it getting too hot. I had it in the waterproof compartment but seems like the phone needs more cooling/ventilation when running Bluetooth, especially if you have it plugged in to the USB. I bought a cheap MP3 player and transferred my tunes to that as I don't mind as much if it breaks or gets wet since it was $30. I bought a small grapnel anchor and an emergency paddle that I keep in the front compartment. I also bought the smaller Linq cooler which is really nice to have. The one thing missing on the Seadoo is a cup holder so my water bottle usually has to stay in the footwell. Good luck and enjoy!

Hello and welcome to the forum. The GTX Limited is an expensive beast. I watched a review of it lately on Youtube and it is the king of the Sea-Doo! I can answer a few of your questions.

Insurance: you must get a good maritime insurance for your new ski (responsibility and damage). I don't know the cost in the USA but here, I am in the $350.00 yearly range for a much less expensive ski (a simple GTI 2018).

Warranty: I got lucky last year with my new ski as BRP gave me two years of warranty instead of one. At purchase, you are offered an extended warranty at the dealer. In your case, I would make sure I have at least two years (and even three). Unfortunately, these supercharged machines are more prone to failures/issues than more basic skis.

Maintenance: as a rule and to avoid issues, I am having the maintenance done by the dealer until the warranty is over. Then I am planning to do it by myself. You will need a cylinder kit to change the oil as well as a few tools. If you need to winterize your ski, you will also need a kit for that.

Do's and don't: I am not sure if your burn in period will be computer managed (depends on models) but follow exactly to the letter what your manual says. Start by not speeding for the first five hours and vary your speed frequently. Then go easy on it up to 10 hours. At 10 hours, you will be OK. Let it also warm up a few minutes before riding. Open the seat frequently in the first few hours and inspect the hull for anything abnormal (oil, coolant, water). Never ride in less than 3 feet of water (idle at 3 feet is OK). Also, if you want to keep a nice finish to the bottom of your ski, never beach it. Buy yourself an anchor (plenty of small models available). I followed a friend's recommendation years ago: first, attach the anchor to medium chain (same length of your ski) and then to some sinking marine rope (same length as your ski as well). Basically I bought the anchor and replaced the existing cheap rope. That way your anchor will remain firmly at the bottom unless waves and wind) are really big/strong. And don't flip your ski! People think its cool but it is not so cool because your hull will get dirty fast. Also if you are in saltwater, you will have to flush the water cooled portion (muffler) after every ride with the garden hose. Never turn on the hose before starting the engine and always turn off the hose before stopping the engine. Never let engine run for more than a minute, even with the hose. If your engine got wet, there are some sprays to repeal salt on the engine. I live in a clean and pure freshwater lake so I am less familiar with this step.

Boat lift: if you have the room a Sea-Doo lift is always a good solution. Mine is floating because I can't install a lift where I am (because it freezes hard where I live and I am docked against a cliff). There are also some floating mats that represent a good alternative (I may get one one day).

And have fun!
benjilafouine

And have fun!
Thank you for the great information! I just found out there isn't a GTX Limited 300 available within 150 miles of me. I do want to buy from my local dealer, I think I might as well wait for the 2020 release. That will give me time to design and build a lift.

What??? Go get it there tiger! You can't miss the remain of the summer without one! Doesn't matter where you bought it from as long as it's from a dealer. My dealer is one hour away from me, maybe not three but this is nothing. They'll prepare it on the trailer ready for pickup.

Or have your dealer ship it for you? Sure they don't want to pass out on a sale.

Hey Benji, Maybe you're right. They're offering a 3 yr warranty now, I guess as an incentive. I think the warranty on a new 2020 at the release date will only have a 1 year warranty.
There are plenty of 230 hp GTX Limited around, everyone bought up the 300s. I have to call the dealer who's actually 90 miles away to see if he actually has a 300. On his (Gulf Shores, AL) website the 300's MSRP is $14,577, my local dealer (Freeport, FL) has MSRP of $17,099 on their website although they don't have any. The prices I'm seeing and getting quoted aren't making sense, trailers run about $1200.
I got a local quote for a GTX LTD 230 out the door price $18,528.58. Includes trailer, tax, registration, tag and a 3 year warranty (I'd need to add a small cooler and ski pylon).
I hate shopping!

Somehow unless there would be a lot less options on the 230 compared to the 300, a 230 could fill your needs as well. Sea-Doo speeds don't exceed 70 mph (by regulation) and between a 230 and a 300 there won't be a big of a difference in top speed.

I just bought the 230 LTD w/sound in June. Great machine...you will love it and it looks really sharp. I have had a ton of compliments on it at the boat ramp and gas station. SeaDoo has the 3 year warranty running right now and dealer will offer up to an additional 5 year extended. I didn't bother with the extended as it was well over $1000. I have insurance through Progressive and it runs about $380/year including trailer coverage. I just did my 10 hour break-in service at dealer and it ran $380. It should then get serviced every 50 hours and I believe it runs about that same price for the service visits. I will be having the dealer do all of the service. Good advice from Benji in post above about the break-in and flushing. I think the computer does have some control during the first 10 hours (might be 5?).

One thing I noticed when running BT from your phone to the speakers (which are great btw) is that my phone shuts off due to it getting too hot. I had it in the waterproof compartment but seems like the phone needs more cooling/ventilation when running Bluetooth, especially if you have it plugged in to the USB. I bought a cheap MP3 player and transferred my tunes to that as I don't mind as much if it breaks or gets wet since it was $30. I bought a small grapnel anchor and an emergency paddle that I keep in the front compartment. I also bought the smaller Linq cooler which is really nice to have. The one thing missing on the Seadoo is a cup holder so my water bottle usually has to stay in the footwell. Good luck and enjoy!
Hey Flic1! Thanks for the info! Wow, sounds like a bit of a money pit when it comes to maintenance, I guess you have to pay if you want to play. Insurance doesn’t sound too bad. My wife will want the extended warranty, we’ll be dropping 20K and that doesn’t include the lift. I’d be pissed if I had to break out the paddle, better than kicking It to the beach I guess. I’ll see how my phone does streaming Amazon Unlimited, MP3 player may be the best way to go. I’ll ask around to see which anchor is best in this sandy area, I can’t imagine being very far from the machine, I was thinking a sandbag would work good enough. Thanks again!

Get the longest warranty you can. The seadoo's are great but the build quality isn't what it used to be, none of the manufacturer's are.
Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely will, I get 3 years and will look into buying 5 more for a grand...the money pit is getting deep.

Somehow unless there would be a lot less options on the 230 compared to the 300, a 230 could fill your needs as well. Sea-Doo speeds don't exceed 70 mph (by regulation) and between a 230 and a 300 there won't be a big of a difference in top speed.
At 240 lbs I’m stuck on the 300. I got this quote for a 300 today -
Your out the door price with small cooler is $19,840.84 Taxes, Trailer, Registration and 3Yr. Warranty.
If you want to play you have to pay

I don't fool with the newer skis but I couldn't help notice that your in my neighborhood. I am on the Alaqua river and I have another house on a canal off Alaqua bayou that is like an invite only 90's Seadoo dealership. Small world. The few Dealership experiences I've had have been at K&M in FWB and they have been good to me.

Hey Matt, When I started looking K&M’s website didn’t list a 300 so I assumed they too were out of stock however, they gave me a quote and I’m looking at it this Saturday. I read some great reviews on them. Thanks!

I have two 2018 GTX LTD 300's and one thing to consider is the availability of 91 octane ethanol free fuel. In hindsight my life would be much easier if I had opted for a pair of the 230's which are happy on 87 as that's what is available on the water here.

As far as a lift goes, I just had a pair of EZ Dock EZ Port Max 2i installed at my local marina and they are proving to be worth every penny. Not cheap but they are pretty much epic.

Last edited:
Well, I’ve learned a lot lately... No, I didn’t get one, my wife is a petite 102 lbs and didn’t feel comfortable reaching for the handlebars. And, I think the 300, needing 91 octane fuel, is not what you want when you’re docking your ski 95% of the time. Anyway, we’re now considering the Scarab jet boat (230)...happy wife, happy life. Thanks to all for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back