Pros and cons of big boring a 951 any input would be helpful

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

1of500

Since the life of the 951 in an RXX is so short I have been thinking about going big-bore this winter with either 1020 or maybe 1050 cc. What would be my biggest concerns in doing so? I know it would consume more fuel, would I be able to rejett the mikuni carbs or would I have to go after market? The guy at ses said if I act before he gets busy he would knock a few hundred off the price normal for a 1020 is 1650 runs on 93 octane 3 year crank warr 2 year no fault.

He said he is slow from about the end of August to the beginning of October. I spoke with him last week.

Ok, I know Tom runs winter specials. Free shipping and lower costs. If he is nice enough to give you a deal now, than thats good. Our riding season is almost over here and then everyone packs there seadoos away till next year and if people blow them up now they just let them sit until April and then rush to get them done.

Are you just being proactive with your rxx or is the motor toast now?
I can not offer you up any advise as this year we just bought our first 951 and we keep everything stock.

I've had it for a little over a month. The p/o either had the top end done or did it himself. I am just very anal when it comes to my stuff. The compression is 120 on both sides on the current engine if the top is as fresh as it's supposed to be I thought it would be a little higher

I've also considered Tom's big bore 951 for my 02XP, but always preach relaiblilty... plus I have no idea what all would need modified even if the engine made more power...

combined with the fact that all the HP in the world will only run it to the 7200 RPM rev limiter (I think the RXX may be higher). So you'd have to change jets, carbs, prop, intake? exhaust?

I'd want to know what all it takes and just how much HP it adds over stock... because.. faster is funner!

I had two RXX's. One had twins and one had a black pipe with the carbs re-jetted for it. The black pipe machine was soooo much better. Loose the twins when it blows in my opinion. They are great for tone and acceleration but fall short everywhere else. They were designed for buoy to buoy.

I would rather not run it till it blows lol. my thought was over the winter have another engine built. And since the life span is already short might as well go big. I'm just looking for what else will be involved in making this swap and what other hidden costs I may run into. I still have to get the carbs dialed in but I did hit 62 in chop yesterday at about 7k rpm I feel like its not at full potential atm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back