Propulsion issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigb831

Hi all new to forum.

I have a 95 seadoo bombardier sp. took it out this last weekend. Got on it and gave it throttle.. the motor would rev up high but seemed like it took awhile to get going. Even full throttle. I thought maybe I was to big for it so I through my 80lb kid on it and it was doing the same thing. At a qtr of throttle the Sea-Doo would move but never enough to get it to level out on water and go. ( it would do this on and off not all the time)

After we went to take it out of the water there was a loud continus beep. Brought it home checked everything out and the beep is gone.

Any ideas on what could be causing these issues would be greatly appreciated.

This really should have been posted in the regular 2-stroke section rather than the performance section, but I’ll point you in the right direction...

Your wear ring is worn and needs to be replaced. Do a search on wear ring replacement and you’ll find instructions on how to get the old one out and a new one in. I’d highly recommend either a new OEM ring, or one of the Delrin rings. I’ve seen several of the cheaper aftermarket ones that were tapered right from the start.

The loud continuous beep is concerning.....Over Temp perhaps. Pull the cooling hoses to the head and check for obstructions...I just pulled mine this past weekend and found a plugged line (vegetation) not allowing cooling water to EXIT the ski.

The beep will stop once the engine cools down...IF that is/was the problem to begin with....easy check...backflush the ski with a garden hose attached to the back and see if water is moving through the water jackets of the engine and exhaust systems.

The loud continuous beep is concerning.....Over Temp perhaps. Pull the cooling hoses to the head and check for obstructions...I just pulled mine this past weekend and found a plugged line (vegetation) not allowing cooling water to EXIT the ski.

The beep will stop once the engine cools down...IF that is/was the problem to begin with....easy check...backflush the ski with a garden hose attached to the back and see if water is moving through the water jackets of the engine and exhaust systems.

Sweet. I’ll check into that tonight. Thank you

Just checked wear ring and it looks good.. small scratches in it but between the prop and ring there’s almost no gap. Haven’t taken it apart to check better

Well you’re getting air into the low pressure side of the pump from somewhere then. The next place to look would be the carrier bearing where the driveshaft comes through the hull...

Well you’re getting air into the low pressure side of the pump from somewhere then. The next place to look would be the carrier bearing where the driveshaft comes through the hull...

Ok so being new to all of this I thought I could see the wear ring from the back. Didn’t know I had to check from bottom.. it was always dark when I looked under my hull.. found a rag tangled on my shaft.. pulled it out.. impeller looks beat up. Wear ring has some grooves in it but I don’t see any big gaps.

IMG_0935.JPG

The rag would be the biggest issue.
The impeller isn't great and probably is causing a little cavitation.
It also appears to be an aftermarket wear ring as the OEM ones are black.

The rag would be the biggest issue.
The impeller isn't great and probably is causing a little cavitation.
It also appears to be an aftermarket wear ring as the OEM ones are black.

Going for a quick day trip with my kids next Sunday to test it out. If it runs smooth I’ll leave it as is till winter time. I’ll keep y’all updated.

That may be a delrin wear ring in there... I can’t really tell, but at least some of them are white like that. Either way, I’d replace it and try to clean that impeller up. If you’re patient and careful, you can clean them up quite a bit with a grinder and using a crescent wrench to bend those leading edges back to straight. If you’d rather not go that route, SBT has an impeller exchange service for about $100 that will get you cavitation free again...

The SBT service has been known to send out the wrong impeller and they don't even stamp them so no way of telling what you are getting back.

I suggest Impros that actually refurbishes "your" impeller and returns the same one you sent.

That’s good to know. I didn’t realize they had been having those issues. I just know it’s the quickest way to get back out on the water...

That’s not bad at all... Luckily I haven’t had to send one out yet, as I’ve been able to clean all of my impellers up with just a bit of grinding. I’ll definitely keep that in my pocket for the next time it comes up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back