Possible project boat, have a few questions!?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shrek317

What's up everyone? Just joined this forum today. Not really too familiar with Sea-Doo boats so if this thread is posted in the wrong section I apologize in advance. I was thinking of picking up a 1996 Sea-Doo Speedster as a project boat. The boat has 170hp and is a twin engine jet boat. The interior is about a 3/10 which doesn't concern me too much. The exterior is a 6/10. Apparently the seller said the boat hasn't run in 2 summers due to Cavitational problems. Both impellers were replaced, the port side drive shaft was replaced, and wear rings were replaced on a continual basis. The boat needs a starboard side drive shaft, new carbon rings and specialty angled anti cavitation props. The boat also comes with a sea-doo trailer and whatever extras that are in the boat like lifevests, tube, two tow straps, flags, paddles and whatever else.

I have some mechanical knowledge about engines, however, that is mostly dealing with car engines and what not. So I figured I would post this here and get some more information from those who know these boats. I understand I would be buying this boat and going into this as a project to get it back into normal operating condition along with cosmetic things also. The price of the boat is 500$. My main question is would it be worth it to buy this boat and get involved in this project? Another question I have is when I go to look at the boat is there anything I should be aware of besides the obvious like hull damage? Also, if I were to need to replace the parts to have the boat operating again that the seller stated, how much would they cost around (new or used) and what would the ease of getting these parts be? Again, I apologize if this post sounds stupid, lol. I just figured it would be better to ask people who know more about it than I do before I get involved over my head. Thanks again guys, I appreciate it!

$500 is a good price if the engiens start.

Now... cavitation isn't a hard thing to fix. If you know you have the issue... you just rip out both pumps, and rebuild/replace as the go back together.

Cavitation is caused be air in the pump. (simple) So... we need to get rid of the air. The 2 main sources of air are from the carbon seal, and from the ride shoe. The carbon seal is easy. Replace all of it, and make sure the clip in the stainless ring is in the farthest groove aft. (they tightest spot)

The ride shoe is a little more work. You need to remove it from the hull, clean it, and glue it back into place. It's only held/glued in place with RTV silicone, and the factory didn't use much, and it is a known leak point.

Before jumping into it... I would verify the electronics, and check the engine compression. (Both engines should be at 150 psi) But for $500... I would grab it. Oh... and if you decide you don't want it... let me know. It's only about a 5 hr drive for me to hit NJ, and I need a new project. (lol)

Last thing... the boat in my avatar was only about a "3" when I bought it too. They clean up very nice if you take your time.

Yeah I would jump all over that. Even if it didnt run, you could make money parting it out. If it has good motors, pump issues are an easy fix.

The pair 717 motors alone are worth well in excess of $500. They are simple to work on in comparison to today's engines (like a 1967 Beetle compared to a 2012 Jetta).

I've driven many types of boats but can say I love my SeaDoo best. I was running around the back bay behind Sea Isle last year in areas that propeller boat could only dream of.

Thank you guys I appreciate your helpful input! Yeah I was looking at the different diagrams of the motors and driveshafts and I knew these boats are worth an okay amount in good condition so I figured 500$ was a really good deal. I'm going to check it out soon and I'll let you guys know if I get it or not. Just wanted to make sure that I was not going to get in over my head because I've been there with certain projects before lol. And I definitely love the fact that these boats can go places without the worry of hitting the bottom and what not. Thanks again guys!

Hii i've been trying to buy this boat for the past 3 years, the boat just sits in the guys driveway and everytime i go by i ask if he wants to sell it and he always says no. The boat does need alot of work but it is all worth the $500. I went past there today and the boat is till there so he didn't sell it. I will try to email him to see if he sold it, i've seen it on craigs list also.Scince i live on the jersey shore , 15 mins from seaside hights, theres alot of seadoos around but the only problem is everything is with salt water. But with older boats and jet skis you always have to put a new motor in cause the salt water kills it after a while. I just bought a 1998 challenge 1800 for $1300 last year, it was covered for 3 years, it needed one motor rebuilt, i had that done and this year im having the other motor rebuilt im getting 4 new carborators so it will be a turn key boat. Sometimes you have to spend some money to get the boat redone but its worth it in the end. better then buying a new one for $40,000!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back