Port engine chokes up on transition from low to full throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a issue with my port engine on my speedster. It chokes up on transition from low to full throttle. I pulled the choke to check for lean condition but made it worse. If I back off it continues choking for a few. If I just throw the throttle from low to full it gets past the choking and runs great reaching full rpm. When I back down from full it runs normal and can be accelerated/decelerated without issue until I go back down to low throttle. Then it begins the choking again. I thought it might be just loading up, but after a long run at near full speed it immediately started choking again when going from low throttle. This first appeared at the end of the day 2 outings ago when we went to go load it on the trailer. I thought maybe it had loaded up from the idling. It had run strong all day pulling tubers and doing full speed runs. I had also changed the plugs that outing and yes I did properly gap them first and used dielectric grease. Just on a hunch I tried changing to the old plugs in case one of the new ones was fouled, no change. Also the new plugs looked perfect. A little background info: I only run 100% fuel; always stored with a full tank and stabilizer; winterize it myself each year; compression in both cylinders was 150psi wot at winterization; no grey lines; I always run the blower for 3-5min prior to starting; the starboard engine runs great. I have not cleaned the carbs nor raves yet and suspect one or the other is causing this. What do ya’ll think? Any help is much appreciated.

I'd start with the raves since they are easy and can cause many problems if too much carbon has collected on them.

If the engines haven't been survived in a while... I would clean the RAVES, Verify the water regulator, clean the carbs, and clean the element in the air box. (it can get choked with oil)

Also... for giggles... put in new spark plugs, and trim back the spark plug wires about a 1/4". (remove the boot, cut the wire, re-install the boot) Some times, the wires can decay at the boot, and you get a weak spark. In turn, you get a "Loaded up" feeling.

Well I finally got time to pull the RAVES, loving having the ski as a backup, and they definitely needed cleaning. I will be pulling the starboard ones too. What all do I need to replace on them? Just the gasket or complete rebuild kit? The baffles and o-rings appear to be flexible and in good shape. Since I am down for the rest of the season I am going to pull the carbs and service them. I was a small engine mechanic in high school and still have no problem tearing one down, just rebuilt the carb on my generator last weekend. I've seen lots of write-ups on here for how to do this. Any suggestions on which one is the best to follow? Also what Mikuni kit do I need to go with for my 787s?

Unless there is damage... you don't have to replace anything. (other than the base gasket)

Just take them apart, and clean the valve.

If the engines haven't been survived in a while... I would clean the RAVES, Verify the water regulator, clean the carbs, and clean the element in the air box. (it can get choked with oil)

Also... for giggles... put in new spark plugs, and trim back the spark plug wires about a 1/4". (remove the boot, cut the wire, re-install the boot) Some times, the wires can decay at the boot, and you get a weak spark. In turn, you get a "Loaded up" feeling.

What does the water regulator do? What condition of the regulator would cause stuttering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back