Poppy boat covers really worth the money?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like the morals of the story here are:

1. Keep the boat/cover out of intense direct sunlight as much as possible.
2. Don't travel with the cover on (I know this from experience as my cover tore to shreds while traveling)

Do these two things and the Poppy cover will most likely last for many years.

Last edited:
It sounds like the morals of the story here are:

1. Keep the boat/cover out of intense direct sunlight as much as possible.
2. Don't travel with the cover on (I know this from experience as my cover tore to shreds while traveling)

Do these two things and the Poppy cover will most likely last for many years.

9 year old cover (original commercial sewing/poppy cover). Towed to the coast several times per year (going again this weekend) ~500 miles round trip. One rip that I had repaired was my fault. His has been an outstanding cover. I tighten the belt tight, then stop and re-tighten it about 25 miles into the trip. No gel coat rash if the strap can’t move.
addf718521c0c2301d6f685a0e0b3f7a.jpg

9 year old cover (original commercial sewing/poppy cover). Towed to the coast several times per year (going again this weekend) ~500 miles round trip. One rip that I had repaired was my fault. His has been an outstanding cover. I tighten the belt tight, then stop and re-tighten it about 25 miles into the trip. No gel coat rash if the strap can’t move.
addf718521c0c2301d6f685a0e0b3f7a.jpg
that looks like a very nice fit... i guess I should have added that the cover needs to be fairly tight. Sounds like you've had no issues traveling with the cover on.

that looks like a very nice fit... i guess I should have added that the cover needs to be fairly tight. Sounds like you've had no issues traveling with the cover on.

Yes. Extremely tight. Any flapping at all is bad. Look at any flatbed truck going down the highway with tarps and they will be tight, both to ensure that the cargo they are hauling doesn’t get beat to death by the flapping, and to keep their expensive tarps from getting shredded in the wind by the flapping.

Heading to the coast this morning. I’m expecting lots of rain along the way today. Boat will be clean and dry inside, though, when we get there.

I store my 230sp on a dock/lift and after having to wipe down the top of the boat every time I took it out, I quickly switched from the factory cover to the poppy. Hand's down, the poppy will keep your boat cleaner and more dry than the snap-on.

The only watch-out I can give is towing with the poppy cover on.... avoid doing this unless you are expecting rain. I towed the boat for one-hour with from the boat shop to the ramp and the center window hinge rubbed a small hole in the cover. I easily fixed it with an adhesive patch... Many folks on the forum have said to avoid towing with a cover due to rub marks on the gel-coat. I absolutely believe them...

I use the front cleat holes and the rear safety straps to anchor the cover to the boat, while the Velcro seams hold it around the wake tower. Once you crank the straps tight, I can (solo) have it off and stored in the floor locker in about 90 seconds, and back on tight in 3-4 minutes - no poles, just cover as water pooling is not an issue under the dock.

Attachments

• Cover 1.jpg
    Cover 1.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 38
  • Cover 2.jpg
    Cover 2.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 39
Here is what my cover looks like at 65 MPH. No moving or flapping. No fiberglass rash.

the cover seems to fit your boat well... keeping it down super tight has to be the key. I had one that tore while traveling, but it did have a velcro slot for a wake tower. I'm guessing the covers with wake towers may tend to tear more that ones without.

anyone know if a company makes replacement snap in covers for the boats still? I've been looking online with zero luck.

Paid $509.99 three years ago for Challenger 210 SE and shipping was included (perhaps as forum member?). Service was good, the cover is excellent.

Two ratchets are mounted on the back, each is encased in a zippered rubberized pouch (compared to single ratchet on side on OEM with pouch same material as cover). Cannot damage hull with ratchet when pouch closed. Also has vents that seem to form a low pressure area underneath the cover so it fits tight / no flapping when towing (none on OEM).

Have towed over 3,000 kms at an average of 110/120 km/hr and no signs of wear (note that do place a microfibre towel overtop of edge of windshield where hinged). The openings for the cleats have a heaver rubber/plastic template surround.

For me was worth the $.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back