Poppy boat covers really worth the money?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting a cover that goes over the swim platform also, I'm looking at some on eBay for a couple hundred. My factory cover doesn't keep the back of the boat clean or over the top and since I have trees all over the place it gets nasty fast.

Poppy cover goes from point of bow to the end of the transom. Pretty much attaches below the rub rail all the way around the boat. Nothing will get into the boat once covered.

I have a poppy cover that I use for towing and storage it a great cover. I use the factory snap on cover when in the water as the poppy cover is hard to install unless your in behind the boat.

For what it’s worth I found a deal on a Carver that I couldnt turn down. First season with it but so far so good. Has the cutouts for the waketower as well.
IMG_2971.JPGIMG_2972.JPGIMG_2974.JPGIMG_2973.JPG

We're do you find those?
It was from "Boat covers direct, they have them to buy new, just enter your year and model in the search criteria. I found the deal on their "closeouts link". mine was an open box that had been returned but was in new condition and was marked down to the point that i was leary to purchase it, but i called and talked to a real person who confirmed everything for me and it worked out great.

Will the poppy cover be difficult to install on a boat that's in a slip? Here's a pic of my slip with limited access to the rear when in the water.

IMG_7490.jpg

Will the poppy cover be difficult to install on a boat that's in a slip? Here's a pic of my slip with limited access to the rear when in the water.

View attachment 37483
I would have a really difficult time putting on my Poppy with the boat in the water. Mine covers the entire swim deck and the ratchet case is below the lip of the swim deck.

Good to know! I can't find any snap-on OEM covers available so will probably have to have a custom snap-on cover made locally. Much more expensive than the poppy unfortunately!

I noticed that poppy doesn't make cockpit and bow covers. they only have the full throwover vacuseal. Does anyone know where i can buy a quality bow and cockpit cover that doesn't zip in to the bimini top? thanks in advance.

I noticed that poppy doesn't make cockpit and bow covers. they only have the full throwover vacuseal. Does anyone know where i can buy a quality bow and cockpit cover that doesn't zip in to the bimini top? thanks in advance.

Does your boat already have the snaps in place for the 2 covers? If so, try any local upholstery shop and they should be able to custom make on for you.

I've also been looking for an OEM snap cover and they appear non-existent. The only option is a custom cover which most local shops are quoting $1,100 - $1,200 for.

I've also been looking for an OEM snap cover and they appear non-existent. The only option is a custom cover which most local shops are quoting $1,100 - $1,200 for.

I have the original snap covers and don't use them. The one time I did, the moisture in the boat was unreal.

Hah! I'd be tempted to purchase them from you, but my OEM covers does the same although it has multiple tears. I'm hoping a custom made cover solves and water/moisture issues.

Hah! I'd be tempted to purchase them from you, but my OEM covers does the same although it has multiple tears. I'm hoping a custom made cover solves and water/moisture issues.

I can't see how replacement snap in bow and cockpit covers could keep out the moisture any more than the OEMs unless you made them wrap around the sides a bit and had a way to keep water running off the windshield from dumping into the bow.

Easier fix, if mooring is an issue, would be to buy the Poppy for $550 and modify the rear by placing a zippered hatch with a screen, to allow for you to stand on the rear platform while installing the cover. Way cheaper than custom covers and will keep out way more water.

I'm looking at having a one piece snap-on cover made for the entire boat which would prevent water from dumping off the windshield into the bow. That's an interesting idea on modifying a Poppy with a zippered hatch screen in the rear. I'm having trouble visualizing how that would look or how it would have to be modified. Do you have any pics or anything to reference to get a visual on that? Thanks.

My upholstery lady made a "tent-like" access panel in the rear. She also added a zippered screen for days I wanted to air it out.

Cover Screen.jpg

Wow that's a great idea. Can you still secure the cover with that access panel/screen open and standing on the swim platform? Might still be a bit tricky to secure that while standing on the platform and then jump off the side to the dock but an idea worth exploring.

I never moored the boat. That was the factory cover that we added the screen to. You could always make the opening wider or a different shape to suit your needs.

I did end up buying a poppy and I will say it's hi quality and I really like the strap system in it to secure it to the boat. I have the factory mooring cover and its horrible to keep water out. I may have it redone with a different material later.

Hey JPass, you may have mentioned previously and I may have missed, but do you trailer/tow with the Poppy cover on? Or do you remove when travelling? Seen pros/cons in other comments, but how do you travel?

We do not tow with the cover on. I see no reason for it. My understanding is that some experience rash marks from the cover buffeting in the wind. Our boat is pristine and I'd rather not scuff the black gelcoat. It's more work for me to have to polish and buff them all out.

We trailer hundreds of miles each year with no issues whatsoever going cover-less. If I were going to be staying overnight somewhere, I'd bring the cover for the evenings, but we haven't had the need yet.

Thanks, I agree and I have read same on issues with gel coat getting scratched / marred.

I just replaced my 2nd Poppy cover with a 3rd. The first lasted 3 years, the 2nd lasted 4 years. The new cover material seems heavier, not sure if it really is or the old cover is just worn. The ratchets and the pockets that contain them are definitely upgraded over the last cover I bought. Overall this is a really nice cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back