Plug Reading 787 GSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My read on this is good on the PTO side, MAG side is rich fouled? Or is that oil fouled? I'm getting light white smoke out the exhaust at idle

Oh, forgot, I also closed my gap to .020ish from closer to .023+, so maybe I'm not getting a clean full burn as well...? I can't back my oil pump much further off, it's already about at the limit.

Attachments

• 20210725_154354.jpg
    20210725_154354.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 34
Follow up run, 7 min at idle. As you can see, they're still coming out wet. I'm gonna lean it out another ⅛-¼, but I'm a little concerned it's gonna be too lean at ¼-⅓ throttle, which is the next step.

It was difficult to get it started. I think the increased gap may be a bit much. Hard to imagine .004 creates that substantial of a difference, but the spec is across .004, so it's obviously important. Gonna close it to .022, see if I get better results.

Only other oddity I've noticed is at the fuel "T" at the carbs, I have air bubbles.

Attachments

• 20210725_163714.jpg
    20210725_163714.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 27
Run 3- MAG side looks perfect to me, PTO still a little wet but noticably less. Adjusted in ⅛ turn, gap set at .022

Gonna lean that one cylinder out another ⅛, one more pull to check, then a ¼ throttle run. If all goes well, on to the high speed adjustments which may be off on one carb up to a 16th from getting bumped/setting them the same.

Attachments

• 16272472722217541296331234520740.jpg
    16272472722217541296331234520740.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 27
Got it perfect. As long as I never want to give it gas. I had to back them out about ⅜ each to get rid of the take off hesitation. But it's running pretty damn good tbh. I guess I'll.... Run a couple more sets and check the plugs at ¼ throttle? Then work up to WOT? Idk, maybe I'll just keep tweeking it the next couple days and see how it does.

Idling for 7 minutes is pretty excessive and you will get the plugs pretty dark. As long as they are not fouling don't worry about it. Rich is safe.

Idling for 7 minutes is pretty excessive and you will get the plugs pretty dark. As long as they are not fouling don't worry about it. Rich is safe.
Really? Every tuning guide I've read on here tells you to idle for either 5 or more common the 2 or 3 that get linked here all the time from PWC, GH, etc that say "at least 15 minutes or more"... I finally just adjusted my low speed to run right at like ¼ throttle and accepted that it loads up with no wake zones. It's running better than ever, faster than ever, but even after 20 minutes of ¾-WOT not stop and my center ceramic is white and the electrode has a little bit of an ashy color. There's a little black on the rims, but they're pretty clean. These are harder to read than I expected

Attachments

• 20210727_165538.jpg
    20210727_165538.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210727_165546.jpg
    20210727_165546.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 17
I can't back my high speeds out anymore, and backing out the low causes it to load. I know it's counter clockwise to enrich the mix, but then I immediately find one guide that says the exact opposite, so maybe I'm wrong? It runs faster than ever this year, and it's a lot smoother at ⅓/30mph, but below that, like 2,000-3,500 area it acts like it's sputtering. I know it's something I'm not getting right, but by all rights I should have it. I've got the filter bolted in, but maybe it's getting too much air with the flame arrestor off? I wouldn't think it would be THAT dramatic tho.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210727-200703_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210727-200703_Chrome.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 23
Is your ski stock with the stock air cleaner and everything?

You can't run these with the lid off the air box or it will be really lean. NO, you cant run without the lid and YES it will make a big difference.

If your ski is stock go back to the stock screw settings, it will run perfect. If it doesn't then something is wrong with your ski and needs to be corrected.

The ring of the plug indicates your mid range throttle,,a bit light/lean,,,on both,,the white electrode is dangerous,,,too lean,,,the dark one,,,too rich,,,maybe a compression issue.,,I would increase your main jets 2 sizes.

Is your ski stock with the stock air cleaner and everything?

You can't run these with the lid off the air box or it will be really lean. NO, you cant run without the lid and YES it will make a big difference.

If your ski is stock go back to the stock screw settings, it will run perfect. If it doesn't then something is wrong with your ski and needs to be corrected.
I never reinstall that airbox on my skis. Just have to open up the lows a little to compensate. That airbox makes it a PIA to tune and inspect everything daily. I'm actually going to switch over to Tau Ceti aresstors when it's time to service carbs again on my skis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back