Plan of Attack - New-to-me 2000 Speedster 240EFI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

srow

Greetings to all.

Bare with me but I'm about to pick up a well used and marginally cared for one-owner 2000 Speedster with the Merc 240EFI. The boat currently has the 'idles fine on the trailer but loses power in the water issue' -- the dealer replaced the ECU to no avail so it was swapped back. It is reported to have good compression -- I will confirm this once in possession. From what I've read it sounds like a TPS issue and I will diagnose that this weekend.

Now the second part -- the boat hasn't been well cared for and the guy I bought it off of admits it -- and the price reflects it. He hasn't used it in two years (since the water-death problem began). He did not hesitate to start it on the trailer with no cooling source -- I'm not sure if this is negligence or if that's fine in small spurts (on the plus side it seemed to idle well on land). Maintenance seems to have been on a bi-annual schedule which is a bit concerning -- but like I said even if it needed a rebuild I'd break even.

So my real question is what should my plan of attack be to bring this boat back up to top-notch mechanical shape? Oil/filters/wear ring/etc? I'm very mechanically inclined, but I'm lacking knowledge with respect to two-strokes (I'm a diesel guy).

Thanks!

Alright well I'll get the ball rolling LOL my plan so far is:

1. Clean everything, interior/exterior, and particularly the engine compartment which is nasty -- nothing like working in a clean space.
2. Change all fluids/filters and drain the 2-year old gas and replace with 91/94 octane?
3. Get it running on the hose and troubleshoot -- confirm good compression numbers, check the TPS with an ohm meter -- if that's not the issue I will problem solve from there (I'd prefer it to be something cheaper if the sea doo gods are listening). Likely look into the fuel pump etc., as well as check all vacuum lines etc.
4. Install a fixed grate (I'm on a shallow and weedy lake)
5. Research into the condition of the wear ring / jet drive condition.
6. Enjoy for the remainder of the summer.
7. Next winter I will likely do a custom paint job / re-upholster. Thinking matte black top with carbon fiber look seats and white interior fiberglass so its not too hot, and redo the hull in gloss black... I have access to a large shop/forklifts for this job.

I'm really looking for some input on what I should be doing steps 2-5...

New plugs, filters,gas and check tps, compression, and head temp sensor is where I would start. Mine done the exact same thing when my tps was bad.

Thanks for the input! Plugs were recently changed by the last guy. Does anyone have the TPS test harness that could tell me the inner workings of it, ie which wire goes where? I would order one but I don't think its necessary / I will never use it again lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back