pitted cylinder head

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty nail

At what point is a cylinder head cover too pitted to use? What is the risk/or downside of using a pitted cylinder head cover? is it predetonation? Can you use premium fuel to eliminate any potential issues? Is there a "quick fix" to maybe not repair, but "make better". I am not trying to be cheap (that comes easy for me) but this machine will not get used a lot so i am just trying to do this cost effectively.

A couple of pictures of head, piston and sparkplug could help. Carbon buildup on head and piston are possibilities of your issue. Have any alterations been made to increase the compression that you're aware of? Check for vacumn leaks at carb connections. If the sparkplug insulator is white that's is a sign of running too lean, Check ignition for too much advance. Could be a combination of these issues. Good luck with your adventure.

Sorry if there was confusion with my question. I am not looking for a diagnosis of the problem, more so, can i reuse the head (new every thing else) and if i do, what will the pitted head cover continue to show performance problems?

Having gone thru many pitted cylinder heads thru 800 Ltd racing,,,pitting is okay,,,but if there are metal particles (from a seizure) in the dome,,,then you risk them coming off and instantly destroying the piston and cylinder walls..can you post a pic,

Can a die grinder be used to “clean up” the pitted areas and make sure there are no metal particle left in the pitted areas?

" I am not trying to be cheap (that comes easy for me) but this machine will not get used a lot so i am just trying to do this cost effectively. (new every thing else)". You know what needs to be done but you'll put it back together anyway.

Mike1117....first, you say "you'll never know unless you try it". sounds like you wanted me to throw it back together.

I did not say at all that i will put it back anyway. I was trying find the answer to question "what will a pitted head do to performance" to which Popps answered the risk is metal particles embedded in there could come out and destroy the new pistons.

I think maybe you need to read the posts more thoroughly before replying. And maybe stop throwing stones.

Care to show us the rest of the pictures of engine damage? If you replaced the other damaged parts with new, why would you skimp on the head? Popps offered a logical solution since new heads don't appear to exist, I checked before I joined the thread. His idea is one possibility for you. Your entire first post was a diagnostic plea for help from the seadoo community. Sound advice was given by all up to a point. Ultimately you have to make your own decision. I think your adventure is a bit over your head.

valves have zero damage.

I purchased this as someone else's project machine who did not have time to finish. I got home with everything and began sorting through the parts(which he said were all there when i went to look at it) and found that the head cover is missing. I have this head cover from another tear down and that is why i began asking these questions whether i could use it or not.

Time to pick up another project, check out FB marketplace. As our former prez would say I know a lot of people have those heads welded up and remachined to oem specs and he should know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back