Picked up a 2011 RXT 260IS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

oxyleak

I picked up a 2011 RXT 260IS last week from a guy that inherited it from his father that passed away. I have done at least one jet ski every year for the past 15 years and I could not pass this one up. It has 12 hours on it and it is in mint condition - no mechanical problems at all. His father bought it and never used it but maintained it every year. Inside and out looks like a new machine other than some cosmetic issues that I can easily fix. No fault codes are displayed, great compression and everything that I can see looks like new. The guy was looking for money to buy a house and was liquidating a lot of his dad's toys. His dad owned a concrete company so he had quite a few. Came with a new Seadoo cover and a 2017 Yacht Club trailer. I paid $4,000 - in my area that's a screaming deal for a low hour ski, even off season. Question to the forum - what should I be looking at over the winter as far issues that should be resolved? Thanks in advance - Jeff.

Ditto on that but a less pertinent question would be if you are going to have the supercharger rebuilt before next season. I had 30 on my 2011 four years ago and had it done.

Roger that. I will probably pull it this winter and rebuild it. I usually sell the skis that I pick up but this one may be a keeper. I might turn it into a fish n ski.

Had the same exact ski- awesome ski when it worked... had a bunch of silly code issues that would pop up on a regular basis- only got to use it 3/4 of the season before the sc went and took the engine out with it, just over 70 hours on it. Looking at a 3500+ repair bill, I sold the ski for 2500 and cried myself to sleep. Now I carry the $300 progressive insurance policy on my ski- peace of mind worth every penny! ;)

beergut - what is the progressive policy? I saw they have mech breakdown coverage but it says it does not apply to jet drives?

beergut - what is the progressive policy? I saw they have mech breakdown coverage but it says it does not apply to jet drives?

I'm fully covered for any mechanical failure, theft or collision. i got the policy specifically for the jet ski- so not sure why it wouldn't cover the jet drive. my guess is what you're reading is specific to the jet pump, like the impeller & ring. they consider those parts to be like tires & brakes on a vehicle that wear often and need regular maintenance. But I specifically stated I was looking to carry a policy in case I had a supercharger failure like I did last time and he assured me it was covered. I'm paying about $305 year with a $250 deductible- and get a yearly membership to sea-tow (it's like AAA for boats) I also get a discount because I carry my home and auto policy through them.

I'm fully covered for any mechanical failure, theft or collision. i got the policy specifically for the jet ski- so not sure why it wouldn't cover the jet drive. my guess is what you're reading is specific to the jet pump, like the impeller & ring. they consider those parts to be like tires & brakes on a vehicle that wear often and need regular maintenance. But I specifically stated I was looking to carry a policy in case I had a supercharger failure like I did last time and he assured me it was covered. I'm paying about $305 year with a $250 deductible- and get a yearly membership to sea-tow (it's like AAA for boats) I also get a discount because I carry my home and auto policy through them.

I just read over my marine policy twice- it specifically states sea dooo jet boat / PWC jet ski.
nothing mentions jet pump- under the "declarations of coverage page" it merely states covered loss due to a "named" storm- regarding the deductible, damage to the hull is calculated at a max of $1000 or 5% of the boats value. The policy also covers all factory installed electronic devices like the MPEM, gauges & dash switches ($250 deductible) It covers damage & liability damage from uninsured boaters up to $100k, $940k per person per accident. towing expenses up to $3000 (although my lake is only 800 acres so there wont ever be a tow bill ;) ) it doesn't cover damage caused by ice or freezing weather. I'll also mention it calls out certain cities / states where my policy isn't active; AL, FL, GA, LA(CA), MS, NC, SC, TX, Bahamas, Caribbean and mexico- my guess is these areas are prone to natural disasters and require very specific policies- other than snow a few months a year, Nh is a pretty stable area; no fires, earth quakes or devastating hurricanes- I'm 45 and only recall one real hurricane making it up here way back in the 80's - think it was Gloria, hit us as a cat 2 (hardly), so boats around here only see water maybe 5-6 months a year on average. I think I put maybe 6 hours on my last ski over the entire season and I rode it every week during boating season. new England boats are more likely to be damaged on the trailer over the winter than in the water over the summer! lol! that's why I always laugh when someone asks me what the hours are on my boat; I respond "I live in new England, hours don't matter- you should be asking me who performed the winterizing service!" :)

Last edited:
Thanks Beergut - from your post stating your are fully covered under mechanical failure - I do see on their website that they have Propulsion Plus optional coverage. The description states: We’ll pay to repair or replace the lower unit of an outboard motor, or upper & lower units of an inboard/outboard motor if you have a mechanical breakdown. And yes, we’ll still cover it if it’s caused by general wear and tear. Starts at $38/year. Propulsion Plus does not apply to jet drives or inboard motors. If you found a way around that I am going to switch over my other 3 skis and my 23' Yamaha.

After reading it again it looks like they only cover mechanical failure of equipment external to the hull, which would make more sense. I just had an issue where I sucked up some crap on the Mississippi and it obstructed my cooling water intake on my 23' Yamaha. The port engine overheated, water got in the oil and now I am replacing it. State Farm covered the engine replacement with no special rider on the policy.

Thanks Beergut - from your post stating your are fully covered under mechanical failure - I do see on their website that they have Propulsion Plus optional coverage. The description states: We’ll pay to repair or replace the lower unit of an outboard motor, or upper & lower units of an inboard/outboard motor if you have a mechanical breakdown. And yes, we’ll still cover it if it’s caused by general wear and tear. Starts at $38/year. Propulsion Plus does not apply to jet drives or inboard motors. If you found a way around that I am going to switch over my other 3 skis and my 23' Yamaha.

there really wasn't a "way around" it- i simply called them and said i want a policy to cover my jet ski in case the supercharger goes and wipes everything out. i answered a few generic questions and had a policy in my email in 30 minutes. pretty cheap and quick. i had an older policy from Geico when i bought my new trixx. full coverage as well. nation wide also offers jet ski specific insurance. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back