Performance mods for 96/97 GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
What are some easy mods to perk up a 96 GTX? The ski I just built I named my wife's ski and it is faster than the other one. I don't claim the other one but it is the one I ride. I cannot have her $hit outrunning mine. She rubs it in really bad too. I wet the crap out of her "just because" but I can't catch her.

What is generally the TRUE top speed of a 96-97 GTX? What water conditions are best/worst for top speed checks.

About the only thing that will make a big difference is a pipe.

Pipe as in exhaust that bolts onto the cylinders? What about the muffler thing in the back? I"m looking for easy. LOL What about a Small difference?

Top speed should be right at 55 mph.
Yes, a pipe bolts to the cylinders. Nothing else is going to make enough of a difference to spend the money on.

I will check top speed. I don't expect 55mph. Maybe 52 at most. I check with the GPS.

What about your WOT RPM, higher or lower than hers? All else being equal you do weigh more than her but someone may have changed the pump impeller or your cylinder compression might be down?

Do you hit the rev limiter? If you hit the limiter a Microtouch rev limiter will allow more revs if you have the power to spin the prop faster, if not a slightly lower pitched prop will help along with drying out the pipe a little. It's a fine balance to get more rpm, too much water in the pipe and you'll get good mid range, a little dryer and more rpm, a little too dry and you cook the coupler hoses. If you can find a 95 800 waterbox valve it has 5mm threads on the bottom and you can add a jet to restrict how much water going into it (back pressure), just remember that whatever you do to extract more power/rpm will require verifying the fuel/air settings, a little rich will rob power and a little lean will rob your wallet.

Yes! You can put flame arrestor! And you can put an pipe or mod your stock pipe (hardjet)
Stay away from race pipe if you want stay on gas pump!!

What about your WOT RPM, higher or lower than hers? All else being equal you do weigh more than her but someone may have changed the pump impeller or your cylinder compression might be down?

I just did the engine in her ski and replaced the wear ring so you are on the right track. Yessir !! I don't want to smoke her but just have a little extra. We ride the GTXs together but my preference is the two seaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back