Painting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone painted there jet ski/seadoo before? I am looking to paint my project seadoo do I need to use marine paint? Or can I use automotive paint and put a clear gel coat over top? The reason I’m asking is that I have a color I want and marine paint doesn’t supply this colour

Thanks I’m advance

Yes, many here have. You can use automotive paint but it isn't as durable as gelcoat.
And, no you can't gelcoat over paint.

So you basically just paint it with auto paint and leave it as that?

Or re gelcoat it, see the resto's in my signature block. Basically, painting it is easy peasy, get yourself an automotive single stage paint and shoot it. If you want the durability gelcoat is much better. Depending how bad your ski is, you might could wet sand it back to life. But if it's badly scratched up and the white is yellowed bad, only applying fresh gelcoat will make it like new again.

I'm not a big fan of painting a ski, every painted ski I've seen looks like crap after a couple seasons. The best it looks is right after painting it.

Keeping the gelcoat or redoing it is the way to go, for me it's polish/wax once a season.

Agreed on the paint. It isn't the best way to go, most end up looking ugly sooner than later.

Check out GGuillot's work, he knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
We only did the top of the ski above the water line. My friend is a professional and believes in doing the whole 9 yards or not at all. LOL Lord knows how many coats this ski has, including sealer. I painted the hoods on the GTI ad GTX. Base Clear. :D96 XP James Paint.jpeg96 XP Paint James shop (2).JPEG:D:D2003 GTI Assembly 1 (5).JPEG1999 GTX RFI SEAT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back