p2081 exhaust temp sensor fault 2019 gti replaced sensor fault is back

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisgesch

As the title suggests... I was riding a week or so ago, grabbed the IBR at about 40 mph and then got the loud beep followed by "check engine" scrolling across. Ran great, got it home and had the sensor replaced. Next run out, dock to the sand bar... no problem, drove great, no check engine. Phew. Got on about half an hour later to go for a ride... about 5 minutes in, grabbed the IBR again at about 40mps and boom.... same thing. I have two identical skis, water box for each is same temp to the touch after riding... I'm confident it's not a mechanical issue and that the exhaust isnt overheating. Anyone seen anything like it? Something between the sensor (which is brand new) and the ECM... engine harness at fault maybe? Connector looks OK, wire seems fine. It's back in the hands of my trusted mechanic (trying to avoid the dealer and their warranty work... 3 weeks till they could even LOOK at it!!!) but I cant stop thinking about what it could be. We're hoping it doesnt ruin our first summer as PWC owners... lake trip planned!

Top of the pump, left side. Looks like a big plastic nut, you can look in the parts diagrams from the top of the page to get a description and view. Some guys have melted exhaust parts because they weren't getting enough cooling water.

As the title suggests... I was riding a week or so ago, grabbed the IBR at about 40 mph and then got the loud beep followed by "check engine" scrolling across. Ran great, got it home and had the sensor replaced. Next run out, dock to the sand bar... no problem, drove great, no check engine. Phew. Got on about half an hour later to go for a ride... about 5 minutes in, grabbed the IBR again at about 40mps and boom.... same thing. I have two identical skis, water box for each is same temp to the touch after riding... I'm confident it's not a mechanical issue and that the exhaust isnt overheating. Anyone seen anything like it? Something between the sensor (which is brand new) and the ECM... engine harness at fault maybe? Connector looks OK, wire seems fine. It's back in the hands of my trusted mechanic (trying to avoid the dealer and their warranty work... 3 weeks till they could even LOOK at it!!!) but I cant stop thinking about what it could be. We're hoping it doesnt ruin our first summer as PWC owners... lake trip planned!
Having the same problem, same model. Did you ever fix?

Yes. It turns out the sensor was fine. The issue was the electrical connection at the sensor on top of the exhaust. I zip tied the plug together to create a more secure connection and haven't had the issue ever since.
Having the same problem, same model. Did you ever fix?

Top of the pump, left side. Looks like a big plastic nut, you can look in the parts diagrams from the top of the page to get a description and view. Some guys have melted exhaust parts because they weren't getting enough cooling water.
Yes. It turns out the sensor was fine. The issue was the electrical connection at the sensor on top of the exhaust. I zip tied the plug together to create a more secure connection and haven't had the issue ever since.
Thanks man. Appreciate the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back