Oxidation

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I’m thinking your hull would be gelcoat? Unless it’s a newer machine that uses some type of polycarbonate I believe. For the gelcoat hull if it’s bad you will need to wet sand it with 600grit, then move to 1000, 1200 and 2000 grit, Meguires heavy cut, I would have to look it up, I believe it’s Meguires 67 is the cutting compound, then polish and wax. If it’s not to badly faded you may be able to get away with just the cutting compound and polish. I loaded a before and after picture of a hull I sanded out, lots of work but worth itEF1A61BB-F226-439A-A1BF-CFE3268EC613.png7E377C70-7F5A-4BAC-9923-EE3C47487954.png

I just had a look and Meguires 91 would be a good cutting compound or 4M super duty, then just use a good marine polish like Meguires

The Meguiars Marine line is much better for old gelcoat as it has way more oils and lubricants than the Automotive line.

Unfortunately all my pictures were lost from crappy Dropbox on my HX restoration but this is the process.

Wetsand 600,1000,2000 then
Now I have always followed Jetskigoodies buffing process but I was out of almost all the buffing compounds so I got on the old interwebs and started looking at Meguiar's marine products so I gave them a call. They were very nice and explained that old dry gelcoat is very different from automotive paint and their marine line has a lot more oils and lubricants because of this. They recommend their Power Cut followed by the Oxidation Remover and finally their Marine Polish. Of course nobody in town has it so I went to Amazon but they sent mislabeled wax instead of the polish so I am waiting on that.
Here is the first pass with the Power Cut.
223.jpg

224.jpg

Now the Oxidation Remover.
225.jpg

226.jpg

And finally the last drop of machine glaze I had.
227.jpg

228.jpg

in the last picture that is the reflection of the rub rail rivets. I would say it turned out pretty good and I think the marine products are easier than the automotive line.

The Meguiars Marine line is much better for old gelcoat as it has way more oils and lubricants than the Automotive line.

Unfortunately all my pictures were lost from crappy Dropbox on my HX restoration but this is the process.

Wetsand 600,1000,2000 then
Now I have always followed Jetskigoodies buffing process but I was out of almost all the buffing compounds so I got on the old interwebs and started looking at Meguiar's marine products so I gave them a call. They were very nice and explained that old dry gelcoat is very different from automotive paint and their marine line has a lot more oils and lubricants because of this. They recommend their Power Cut followed by the Oxidation Remover and finally their Marine Polish. Of course nobody in town has it so I went to Amazon but they sent mislabeled wax instead of the polish so I am waiting on that.
Here is the first pass with the Power Cut.
223.jpg

224.jpg

Now the Oxidation Remover.
225.jpg

226.jpg

And finally the last drop of machine glaze I had.
227.jpg

228.jpg

in the last picture that is the reflection of the rub rail rivets. I would say it turned out pretty good and I think the marine products are easier than the automotive line.
Hey @mikidymac i was just reading through this and thought I would mention to you that the Meguires products can be purchased directly from Meguires and at a substantial savings. They sell large jugs of some products as well. Sometimes as much as 50 percent less than retail

Mine are silver/gray gelcoat on top and I was happy with just using 400 grit wet sandpaper and that made a huge difference, I waxed them with Meguire's cleaning wax and they look great.

Mine are silver/gray gelcoat on top and I was happy with just using 400 grit wet sandpaper and that made a huge difference, I waxed them with Meguire's cleaning wax and they look great.
Really, 400 grit and then just wax?, nothing in between like 800grit, 1200 2000? Cutting compound?

Yeah, that's all I did, not saying it's right but I'm happy with the results. They were heavily oxidized, so they look much better now.
With that said, I didn't even know that you could sand gelcoat down like that to "restore" its finish. I found out by accident when I was doing a repair, filling in a gash with a gel coat repair kit. If I had stumbled upon this thread, I would have taken it farther, but the results were so much better than when I started, I was satisfied.

Last edited:
Back