One engine surges, the other engine revving too high - help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashbrycrys

2009 Wake 230 supercharged ran great last year, but when I tried it out on the water last night, both engines fired right up and idled fine, but under full throttle one engine revs really high past 8,000 rpms and the other one surges between 5-6,000 rpm intermittently. Tried several passes with no luck. Someone else on this forum had the exact same problem with theirs, but never posted what fixed it. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest sending the superchargers to PWC Muscle here for rebuild if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

Definitely check superchargers like above. Also though, I had a similar issue couple years ago where idle ran rough, couldn’t get boat up to speed (40mph tops) etc and one was higher than other, only about 1k rpm difference and not over 8k though. Was also taking on a decent amount of water, took couple minutes to drain on the ramp. turned out was an exhaust hose that had slipped off because of loose hose clamp.

Here’s a video showing the surging on starboard tach..

Not saying it is your issue but these engines eat sparkplugs pretty quickly. It's always a cheap place to start.

Glad to hear it was an easy fix! It's weird how quickly they go bad. Before I had work on my boat for a year and didn't use, except when the dealership ran it on occasion for a total of 2-3 hours for the entire year, I had just down all the maintenance, including the spark plugs. When I got my boat back and took it out, one engine sounded funny, kinda like a lawn mower, and vibrating more than the other. When the dashboard told me low oil pressure, new spark plugs fixed all of those problems.

In my opinion, I think spark plugs go bad a lot quicker if the boat isn't used much. I generally use mine quite a bit like I put maybe 100hrs a year, but never had spark plugs go bad in the year I used them. But when it was at the shop for so long it did. I have a neighbor with a SeaDoo who doesn't take his out as often (put 65hrs in 10yrs) and he always tells me how he always has issues with his spark plugs and gave me the advice to keep a spare pack onboard, along with other emergency repair tools. Probably not helpful now, but something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back