OMG I AM SO BORED - When is spring 2017?!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... we took our skis out... OMG, I must have been mistaken! It was our ATVs and there was two feet of ice that you could skate on. All around the lake: 50 miles of it! Huge ice ring. But it was bone chilling... 5 degrees F with strong northern wind. Felt like 10 below. In two months we will be riding in the same spot on our Sea-Doos but water will be at 37 degrees F.

In the end, it was a fantastic day and we are planning to go back tomorrow on an excursion: on our lake, there is a 1.5 mile long island with a mountain on it and a lake on top of the mountain.

It always feel strange to ride an ATV on ice where there are 300 feet of water below...

You will only find that in Canada (and Alaska). And our lake is kind of "monolithic": it freezes mostly equally so aside from a few spots where water streams or rivers get in or out, it is frozen equally all around when March comes in and you can go anywhere on it on the ice. Also, some people have a cottage on the island so they can stay there for the weekend or on school break using a ski-doo or ATV to get there.

IMG_0183.JPG

Tonight: 5 below...

Benji.

This thread will die when us guys from the North resume riding! This is a picture from today.

IMG_0303.JPG

I believe we still have another ten days of ice, especially at the top of the lake that is quite large. In front of my place, it is very narrow so it gets a river effect when all this water from melting comes in.

I put my battery on the charger for the night (slow charge) and my friend and I will crank it tomorrow. Yeah! Can't wait for that smoke smell! We'll transfer it back to the trailer that reappeared last week from being buried under the snow... Then I'll go into shining and waxing mode. The ski will have to stay in the garage on the trailer on the last few freezing nights that we'll be getting.

Nevertheless, Spring has Sprung! Last year, I resumed riding my May 5th. It was freezing cold.

Benji.

Fired up the GSX today and she sounds great. They go on the trailer tomorrow. And we will have the Bayliner at the lake tomorrow evening. Expecting ~80. It was 81 today!

We are more on the high 50s here but nonetheless, it feels warm after all this cold! Enjoy your ride. Post a pic!

Benji.

Here in California the lakes finally have water and the air temp is great. The only thing I am lacking is time to get the skis out.

Fired up the GSX today and she sounds great. They go on the trailer tomorrow. And we will have the Bayliner at the lake tomorrow evening. Expecting ~80. It was 81 today!

Hope you're not expecting typical warm water, the hot hole has water flowing but the entire lake is no warmer than SML, I don't know what's changed but our pre/post season heated lake is frigid:willy_nilly:

So.. it was nice and sunny last weekend and I was like.. Hey I should get my trailer from the yard (ski's kept on dollies in winter to save space in garage).

Then, it hit me as I was thinking about putting said skis on the trailer. I was going to put new bunks on the trailer last fall after I put the skis on dollies.
Then I said, why would I put new bunks on, just to sit outside all winter? I'll do it in the spring!

Well, a brisk 7 months later, wouldn't you know it?! The future became the NOW.

So... I ordered new bunks, and in the process of removing the old discovered all the hardware on the 12 year old+ trailer was rusted/busted/broke. A bolt broke sending a breaker bar into my forehead.

But.. pics coming soon of all new bunks, all new angle brackets, and all new nuts/bolts/washers and painted everything black. No such thing as overkill in a marine environment. Also all the new bolts are way thicker than the old. 1/4 the weight of 1,400+ lbs of jet ski rests on each bolt, so bigger = better.

It's practically a new trailer now! Checked the tire pressure in sooo many tires last night.
1 car = 4
1 mower = 4
1 boat = 5
1 jet ski = 3

Ace Rust Stop Epoxy Gloss Black is the world's best spray paint. I paint everything I can...
Get a scratch? Paint it. Water proof it? Paint it.

trail45.jpgtrail1.jpgtrail4.jpgtrail2.jpgtrailer3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So took the Bayliner out today. Water was 74-79 degrees F. It has a coal power plant on it so the plant keeps the water warm year round. But for this lake, 74 is cold. It sits in the mid 90's by late summer. We did a little swimming. This pix is my daughter driving the boat with her friend in front. And my son sleeping and wife clearing emails. A typical family outing! Nice to be on the water again. Air temp was a nice 77.

So took the Bayliner out today. Water was 74-79 degrees F. It has a coal power plant on it so the plant keeps the water warm year round. But for this lake, 74 is cold. It sits in the mid 90's by late summer. We did a little swimming. This pix is my daughter driving the boat with her friend in front. And my son sleeping and wife clearing emails. A typical family outing! Nice to be on the water again. Air temp was a nice 77.

Did you go to the hot hole? Since mid winter it has been cold, either they have a massive project or they're not using the lake Luke they used to, but I was bummed to not have a warm lake this winter.

Yep. the hot hole was only right at 80 per my lake sensor. It will be nice if it does not heat up that much this summer though. 88 would be great.

It was the coldest winter for belews that I've seen ever normally in the winter you roll around the corner towards the hot hole from piney bluff and the steam is comin out of the lake but not this year, if something has changed the summers will be better

Nice day out today had my son out and a few of his buddies. These were after a long onslaught of riding all day. If you're bored just step out side and grip and rip! There is no excuse for boredom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[video=youtube;klg_0sNIACo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klg_0sNIACo[/video]

[video=youtube;dQLp-tWt7eo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQLp-tWt7eo[/video]

Good times with the family
175.jpg
Brrraaaappppp!!!

Wait, wait wait. You're telling me there's a lake that's heated?!

Yep! The lake is owned by Duke Energy. It has a coal fired steam power plant on it. They use the entire lake as a heat exchanger. I think they have it cooling the steam to create more power. Anyway, they suck water in from the lake in one area, and dump it back it another, AKA, THE HOT HOLE. During the summer, the hot hole can get close to 100 degrees! (not refreshing at all when it is 93 out and high humidity). But this time of year it is usually in the mid 80s. But it is really "cold" this year and is only in the mid to upper 70s. There are a few lakes around here like that, so I have been told.

I'm in the same boat :willy_nilly: I go there cause it's close, on a ski you can go from one end to the other in 10 min or less or drive another hour and a half and be at Smith mountain lake and not see both ends of the lake in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back