oil light beeping UPDATED(THIS IS GETTING WEIRD)!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc229

hello all, i have a 2000 speedster, 240efi gen 1. The oil bypass was done by a previous owner, had hte boat out today and the oil light started beeping when i went above 1/2 throttle, eased off and the beeping stops. As an attempt to lessen the smoke factor at low speeds, most of the time im around 2-3000rpm cruising speed. I went with amsoil 100:1 outboard premix oil, but mixed it at the 80:1 ratio, it helped greatly with smoke at low rpm. The question is, i know at idle the oil injection system would run at about a 100:1 ratio(if it was hookedup), and up to 50:1 at higher rpm. Is the light going off because the engine thinks its not getting enough oil?

If you are running premix, there is no sensor for "oil flow". 80:1 is pretty lean for full throttle. I know, it's designed for that. Still lean. The beeping could be overheat alarm. Have you checked ALL your water passages? Especially the pee stream overboard? Any blockage can cause overheat. Bugs like to nest in the pee hole hose.

Thanks Tim, where would I find the pee hole? Do you clear it from the engine side? If so where would I locate the hose? Excuse my ignorance I’ve had the boat for a month last years boating season and just put it back in the water this year and have never seen water coming out of anywhere except the bilge pump.

On the stern, above the waterline. This is a "witness stream", like an outboard, that shows water pump is working. If you can move the boat, the pump is working. If pee hole is blocked, hot water can't get out; cold water can't get in.

You may need to clean from both outside & disconnect hose from cyl. head and clear it. Bugs can seal it absolutely 100%

UPdate, checked the pee hole, and water is flowing freely, took it out to check the pee hole, and noticed something, its not going into higher rpm that seems to set of the beeping, it seems that it starts beeping when the bow is up, like when you accelerate, i noticed this because i can slowly accelerate all the way up with no problem, but if i give it a little too much and get the bow up out of water it starts going off then stops as soon as the bow comes back down. also noticed at slow speeds when going through my wake and the bow riding up and down. Not sure if this makes any sense.

update, so I too it out again and just slightly above idle for 10 minutes, and started beeping constantly...shut it down, so whatever it is seems to be getting worse. Nice stream of water coming out of the pee hole, so should be cooling? Correct? What else would cause constant alarm, considering the oil bypass was done?

When your oil bypass was done, were both oil tanks removed? The small one mounted on the engine has a float switch in the cap. Bouncing and pitching could trigger this float. Could also be that the sensor wires have not bypassed the float switch. Two wires from the oil tank cap (I think they are blue) should have a short jumper wire between the 2 wires on the engine.

Otherwise, it seems you have another loose wire / bad connection. Start with the round connector, starboard side, in a steel bracket. There are a lot of wires in there.

SO, this is where is gets interesting! The guy I bought it off had told me that the original engine blew due to oil pump failure so he had a factory rebuilt engine installed(true), and had the oil bypass done. The beeping started and caused me to look at it, everything is still there, pump, tanks, everything. So as i posted before i was getting alot of smoke anytime i tried to idle for a bit. On a whim before i had to take it out of the water to start really getting into it, i added oil to both tanks, and the beeping went away..... Does this mean that the bypass wasn't done, or that just the sensors were not removed or jumped?

Follow the oil lines from the tanks and see if they are still hooked up to the engine pump. Then check if the lines are still there from the pump to the carbs.

Yes they are all there, is there a way to test the pump? Multimeter? I’m guessing it’s working since the oil had to go somewhere for the low oil beeping to start out of the blue?

03 challenger had same problem although gen2. As Tim75 said blue wires to oils sensor on eng mounted tank can be ohm’ed to see if it is still good, plenty of videos. If it ohms good then the float in the tank is bad and needs to be replaced. Best $150 I have spent.

If the oil pump and tanks and hoses are still in place and connected, it seems bypass was not done.
Yes, there is way to test oil pump. I don't know the numbers, but involves running the engine on premixed, and measuring output of the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back