Oil consumption

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunterb

Hi all,
We'll I have my 1997 GTX up and running after having the cylinders bored out 1mm over and installing new Pro-x pistons. After a lot of trial and error, mostly errors, I have it so it is running quite well. Still a little stumble/hesitation off idle but I think that's sort of normal for these and it runs beautifully once up and going and idles well. I have been premixing as well as the oil injection through the break in period but would now like to 'cut the cord' and just rely on the injection system. I have been watching the level in the oil tank and it has dropped a bit but not much and I have burned about 30 liters of fuel so far. I'm trying to calculate how much it should have used. I think the ratio varies from about 100 to 1 at idle to 40 to 1 at WOT. Is that correct. If so, then when driving around varying the throttle from idle to 80% or so (still breaking in so not full throttle) is it reasonable to assume that it would burn an average of about 60 to 1? So for every 60 liters of fuel approximately 1 liter of oil would be consumed? Am I thinking about this correctly? Is. 60 to 1 about right as an 'average'.
I'm just worried about going to straight fuel and relying on the injection system entirely. I have adjusted the pump and tested it with a drill when I had then motor apart and it definitely 'pulsed' oil through the lines and there are currently no air bubbles visible in the lines.
I just hope it's pumping adequate oil to keep all the parts happy so I don't oil starve the motor and have to start again.
So my question is what is normal consumption during varied riding from idle to about 80%? Is 60 to 1 a reasonable estimate?

You are pretty close. This is the beauty of oil injection in that it uses very little oil compared to premix.

I usually average about 5-6 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil so that's about 50-60:1 ratio since I have a 10 gallon tank.

You are pretty close. This is the beauty of oil injection in that it uses very little oil compared to premix.

I usually average about 5-6 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil so that's about 50-60:1 ratio since I have a 10 gallon tank.
OK, that's good. The oil tank was pretty much full when I got it but hasn't gone down a lot but I haven't put a lot of fuel through it yet. Still tweaking the carbs but I don't think I should bother any more until I'm not premixing as well as injecting because I'm probably getting false results anyway.
Thanks again for all your help!!
Bruce

It really has a lot to do with how you ride the ski... If you’re just cruising, you will hardly use any oil. If you’re out doing WOT pulls and messing around, it will burn through quite a bit. The average burn rate can change drastically depending on riding conditions, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it fluctuated between 50:1 on a day out playing hard to 80:1 on a day of mellow cruising.

It really has a lot to do with how you ride the ski... If you’re just cruising, you will hardly use any oil. If you’re out doing WOT pulls and messing around, it will burn through quite a bit. The average burn rate can change drastically depending on riding conditions, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it fluctuated between 50:1 on a day out playing hard to 80:1 on a day of mellow cruising.
That's kind of what I figured. All I've been doing is cruising while varying the throttle with some short bursts up to close to full throttle to make sure it will get close to max RPM. I've burned about 40 liters of fuel and added another 20 today which I premixed at about 70/1. That will be the last of the premix as long as I'm confident the level is dropping in the oil tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back