Oil Change Process

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 2014 RXT-X 260.

Could someone please describe the oil change process?

I have all of the supplies/parts but I’m seeing mixed things on YouTube about siphoning and then running in “drain mode for 10 seconds.”

Also, do the spark plugs just “screw in”? I’ve seen talking about having to set them to 0.3 inches, what does that mean?

It’s recommended in your owners manual to have a BRP dealer change your oil that’s why the instructions are not provided. I’ve seen the BRP oil change and spark plug change instructions only in two places. One would be the BRP service manual for your ski and they are also included in the BRP SEA-DOO 4tec Winterization kit. There are at least twenty steps in the process and should be followed precisely or you can do damage to your ski. Not trying to scare you away from doing it yourself just make sure you have the instructions at hand and follow them precisely.

Hi Lewis,

For the spark plug change, you need a plug gap tool. It is used to set the electrode gap to .030".
You can pick one up at any auto parts store for a couple of dollars.
You also need a spark plug socket, which has a rubber insert to hold the plug while pulling the old and inserting the new plugs. My '06 GTI has a little tool kit in the hold & has a plug wrench in it.

JLK

Yes, spark plugs screw into the engine and you only put them in hand tight, without power tools. And there is a small washer that smashes when you tighten them and seals the plug into the head of the engine. If you don’t have a torque wrench, just tighten until the plugs get hard to turn and stop with medium pressure. No need to tighten them extensively. You should also put anti seize on the plug threads first before installing them. Make sure they are gapped correctly like the video shows. You have to pull the coils off to get to the plugs - they pull straight up and you can twist them a little to get them to break free. If you don’t have a socket that has a rubber grommet inside to hold the spark plug, you can loosen the plug all the way and then push the coil back down in the hole slightly to grap the loose plug and pull it out. You can put the new plug in the same way, putting the new plug slightly into the coil, then putting the plug down into the engine, turning the coil to start threading the plug into the engine a couple of turns, then pull the coil up and off the plug. Finish tightening the plug with the socket wrench to just lightly hand tight and snug.

Hi Lewis,

For the spark plug change, you need a plug gap tool. It is used to set the electrode gap to .030".
You can pick one up at any auto parts store for a couple of dollars.
You also need a spark plug socket, which has a rubber insert to hold the plug while pulling the old and inserting the new plugs. My '06 GTI has a little tool kit in the hold & has a plug wrench in it.

JLK

Great info!! Anti seize for spark plugs and molykoteke applied on top of ignition coil as a preliminary h20 seal. Thank you so much

RE milehigh guy post. Just buy a 3 dollar spark plug socket.

Also of note, the plugs come with a screw-on connector that must be removed before a SeaDoo coil will fit over and grasp the threads on the TOP of plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back