Oil and battery question.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerstec

Hey everyone. I have two questions. First, last season I was riding when my 97 gsx died out on the water. I tried restarting it a few times and it wouldn't stay running so I got towed back to shore. The first thing I did was pull the plugs and it had erosion as if the engine is not getting enough oil. I did notice last season that my jetski wasn't using as as much oil as I thought it should. So I bought new plugs and added oil into my gas. After that the jet ski ran fine. I probably have a clogged line or filter. I am going to be looking into this further soon. Has anyone else had this issue? If so what was the problem and solution?

My second question is about my battery. It never seems to hold a charge. I constantly have it on the charger. It's actually on a trickle charge right now. I tried to start my jet ski today and the battery had just over 12 volts but when I tried starting it, it dropped to zero. Now this is a brand new battery I bought last season with maybe ten hours of riding time. It is a Duralast Gold bought from an auto Zone by my house. The CCA (cold cranking amps) is 310. Could the CCA be to low? Could someone recommend a better battery? If so I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If it didn't get enough oil, it could have fried a piston or a cyclinder, not giving you enough compression. As far as the battery goes look up pt. Number 278000712 and see what it pulls up on the internet/google. The reason it's dying could be due to a bad rectifier or a starter relay or both maybe

Have the battery load tested. If it is at 12v then drops to 0 at cranking it is bad.
Absolutely running without oil will ruin the pistons cylinder and crankshaft.
A compression test will confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it didn't get enough oil, it could have fried a piston or a cyclinder, not giving you enough compression. As far as the battery goes look up pt. Number 278000712 and see what it pulls up on the internet/google. The reason it's dying could be due to a bad rectifier or a starter relay or both maybe

Thank you for the reply. I think I got lucky with the oil situation. After iq+ added oil to the gas the engine ran very smooth. I don't hear any thing from the engine for me to think there was any damage. I was able ro run the jet Ski the rest of the week without and issue. She even opened up with no hesitation. As for the battery it looks like my charger may be bad. I have it on a different charger now. I'll see if that makes any difference.

Again, thank you for your swift response!

Have the battery load tested. If it is at 12v then drops to 0 at cranking it is bad.
Absolutely running without oil will ruin the pistons cylinder and crankshaft.
A compression test will confirm.

I'm gonna load test it tomorrow. I'll also do a compression test. Would you happen to know what the compression is for the 787 engine? Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back