Oh no what did I do?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Looky what I found. Ugly 96 gts but it has all the parts I need

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 46
Wasnt easy but I got the pump and ride plate off. Pump looks rebuildable.

Attachments

• new pump.jpg
    new pump.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 22
Dont you just love amazon? According to the ad this is the right mpem. I found some that look like it but they say they are for a 96. My ski is a 2000 gts. Anyone have a part number?

Attachments

• mpem.jpg
    mpem.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 17
Making progress. I have the pump rebuilt. Now I have to get the engine to start before I put it back in.

Attachments

• 20220806_162512.jpg
    20220806_162512.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 14
Make sure you that you remove one of the 1/2 inch hoses going into the head,,,and connect a hose that is connected to your garden hose because with the pump off you will not be able to direct water to the motor if it is running,,,(i think)

Good idea. Right now it doesnt even squeak. I replaced the mpem but it is still dead as a doornail

I am back to work on it. I bought another mpem and it tries to start now. I guess it true they only work 1/2 the time. Starter is dragging really bad. Plus the solenoid is sticking. Had a heck of a time getting the starter off. Ended up taking off the exhaust and turning the engine sideways. I posted in another thread that the engine was full of rusty liquid. Ended up being the trans fluid I poured in the cylinders to free them up.

Attachments

• 20230718_200321.jpg
    20230718_200321.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 12
Ok here is the cool part. The engine looks new. I can still see the crosshatch in the cylinders and there are no scratches on the pistons. There is some discoloration from where it sat up for so long but I think i will be fine.

Attachments

• gtsengine002.jpg
    gtsengine002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 12
  • gts engine.jpg
    gts engine.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 10
Well as long as I have the engine out I am going to switch hulls. This one is much nicer. No cracks and big holes all over. I have no idea about the engine so out it comes.

Attachments

• 97doo.jpg
    97doo.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 97doo2.jpg
    97doo2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 11
I got this funny feeling this isnt a good engine. But it did have a starter. Yes that is muck in the exhaust and a crack in the cylinder. Funny it spins freely.

Attachments

• 97starter.jpg
    97starter.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 97engine.jpg
    97engine.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 97eigine002.jpg
    97eigine002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 12
It doesnt really look the same. Its missing a ear. I have to buy another pressure washer. Mine just died and ugh this thing is nasty. Lucky I am replacing all the metal components because the hull was differently a salt water ski.

Attachments

• ugh.jpg
    ugh.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 18
spent the day yesterday cleaning to muck out of the bilge. I also removed the stickers since they were faded . Not as easy as it sounds. Lol

Attachments

• clean.jpg
    clean.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 19
Got the tanks out and cleaned under it. Also got the ride plate on. I am trying to decide. Should redo the gel coat or paint it?. Or just leave it. It will be a fun running around ski but its not worth to much to go crazy on it. In the end its just time.

Attachments

• hull.jpg
    hull.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 8
  • ride.jpg
    ride.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 9
Got the carb kit in. Thanks Mikidymac for the tutorial it helps a lot. I bought the fancy screwdrivers and the pump as well.

Attachments

• 97carb.jpg
    97carb.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 5
Wierd as I was disassembling the carb the high speed screww was closed tight. I wonder how that affected the running. Should I back it out 1.5 turns? Also I read some where that you can delete the accelerator pump and put a bigger main jet in for more power. Anyone know what size jet and will it work?

HS screw should be closed on a 2000 GTS.
No additional power will be made by removing the accelerator pump. Just make sure it is spraying and move on.

I put the fuel tank back in replaced the selector switch and I'm running the new fuel hoses. The 97 hull was missing the vent hoses so I grabbed the ones off the 2000. I shouldnt have bothered. The check valve to the side is wide open, and the one to the handle bars is plugged up. They seem to be different. I found the side type can I use those for both? Or is the top one different for some reason. https://osdparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1025 Also the 97 is missing the fuel filter. Luckily I have the one from the 2000.
Its slow going cause Im a old fart and its 108 degrees today. Ugh.

The upper on is just a check valve that opens and lets air in as you use the fuel but closes to build a little pressure to keep the carbs primed. The lower one is a pressure relief that pops at a couple psi to keep too much pressure from building and flooding the engine. They both need to be functioning correctly.

Looks like I will be building a pressure pump. The one from amazon is a piece of junk. Wearing me out trying to get the pressure up and it never makes it to where it needs to be. Now I know why Mikidymac built his own. Lol

Carb is all done :) Got the fuel tank cleaned and back in with all new hoses and valve.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
Back