Oh no what did I do?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Frige

I had a 96 gts that was really nice low hours and all. I sold it late last year and I have been missing it. Found this 2000 gts on marketplace. No trailer, no title $200 bucks. Kinda beat up but the engine looks pretty good. I was able to turn it over by hand and someone had written 145, 150 beside the spark plug holes so I assume it has good compression. I can get a bonded title trough state of Texas it just takes a while.

Meantime I will try to get it to start. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20211116_142710.jpg
    20211116_142710.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 79
I hear ya. I am going to try to start it. But I dont have a key so I will need a aftermarket dss and its missing the start switch. If I get it to start I will pull those parts off and wait.

Fwiw, that "title" business isn't universally important. Up here it's completely unnecessary - all you need is a bill of sale with a serial number that matches the hull. So when we bought ours in MT, brought them over the border, and registered them with the federal authority nobody asked for a title.

I have to jump trough a lot of hoops but its not expensive. $37. But it takes 7 months

Just be warned those aftermarket MPEM’s only work a small portion of the time.

You would be better off spending the $80 and getting one programmed to the OEM MPEM.

Before doing anything I would find out if it was stolen.starting system all torn apart different color.before you get in trouble for receiving stolen property get vin number checked out

If you spend a bunch of money on this boat and it turns out it is stolen, and you are found to be in possession of it, you could end up losing all of your money and end up making license plates.

PS. Regarding checking to see if it is stolen, I tried BOATFAX to see if it was accurate an IT IS NOT. My boat was stolen and the state, the insurance company and the police were notified. BOATFAX said CLEAN. It was a total waste of money.

I hear ya. I am going to try to start it. But I dont have a key so I will need a aftermarket dss and its missing the start switch. If I get it to start I will pull those parts off and wait.
Took me about a month here in Texas to get a title for a ski I bought without a title.

Its in the works and its not stolen. I was messing around with it today and I was worried the engine was stuck but I believe it is the impeller hitting plastic pulling up. Maybe the wear ring? I can turn the engine over by hand till it seems to hit something.

Cool part is I found a trailer for it. $200 for a karavan. I checked the vin and I can get plates for it fairly easy. Bad thing is it has a junk kawasaki sitting on it that I will have to get rid of.

Attachments

• kaywa6.jpg
    kaywa6.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 50
I got the trailer back and its in good shape with new tires. I put the Kawasaki on marketplace for free and my phone is exploding.

Im back. I got the title all done. So I am starting to work on the ski. The engine will not make a full revolution. I found that its in the jet pump. I started pulling it apart and ugh what a mess. Looks like someone rode it in the gravel. May need a new housing.

For Reference,

In Texis, a Bonded Title is an Insurance that protects the last Buyer/New Owner from a fraudulent No Title sale.

If it turns out to be stolen, the Buyer/New Owner can put a Claim against the Bond Insurance and recover his Money.

The Bonded Title Insurance Premium is about $100 bucks. And there are some other Fees and Sale Taxes to pay related to the Title Application.

A Bonded Title is the way to go. No Criminal Charges against a Good Faith Buyer who follows this process.

The State, the Police and the Insurance Company will follow the Chain of Custody backwards to find any Sketchy Owners.

Most of the time, the Rightful Owners simply lose track of the Titles for 20+ year old PWCs.

Regarding PWC Trailers. the DMV could care less. Simply register Trailer as Homemade. They have your Name and Signature connected to the "Homemade" Trailer anyway. No where to hide.

Pulled the back of the pump off. Then I watched the video and figured out it comes off as a unit. Oh well lol. Pump looks wasted. I will see it better later when I get it on the bench.

Attachments

• gts pump001.jpg
    gts pump001.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 38
  • gts pump002.jpg
    gts pump002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 39
So I got the pump off and the engine still would not make a complete revolution. It didnt feel like anything was broke so I poured transmission fluid into the cylinders and walked away. I came back today started playing with it and success It spins freely. I have a generic key so I might put a battery on her and see what happens.

If you put too much Tranny Fluid in the Cylinders, you might end up hydro-locking and bending the Connecting Rods when you crank the Engine.

Crank it first without the Spark Plugs. Make sure you Ground the Spark Plug Boots first.

Good advice. I also cant find my generic key so I ordered a new one. If you saw my shop you would understand lol. I am hoping someone replaced the MPEM with a aftermarket one that doesnt have dss
. My last ski had one and it never gave me any problems.

I can tell you if it wouldn’t turn completely over and something stopped it then you finally forced it past that spot something is definitely broken. Continuing to turn it over and trying to get it to run and crank is just going to cause more damage.

I hear ya. I might go ahead and pull the head off. If for nothing else just to clean the rust out of it. I dont thing there is anything wrong with the crank. I was turning it over by hand. I haven't put any power to it yet.

I spun it over several times bu hand and it turns freely with no noise. I found a old key and put power to it but nada. Not even a squeak. Looks like I need a non dss mpem.

Back