Not getting fuel???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwaterz07

Okay y'all first let me say, please excuse my ignorance in this post. I've never owned a jet ski and kinda just learning as I go. Bought a 2001 GS a few months ago, it was running hooked up to the water hose and ran great. Took it out and completely forgot to check the plugs :rolleyes: Flooded the motor. Got all the water out of the engine and changed the spark plugs, and added some lubricant so it wouldn't rust up. (This is all 5 hours away from home...) Get it home and it will not run hooked up to the hose? It will idle for about 45 seconds dry then die, but as soon as the hose is hooked up (after the motor is running) it will die.
Also had an issue with it not getting gas. The bulb/ filter up front would not fill up with gas. We thought the fuel pump was in the tank (which we've now learned is the baffle/ pickup) But somehow when we lifted it up it maybe released pressure in the tank? And fuel was slowly flowing. Tried it on the water and it will bog out if revved up. Got the carb cleaned. Now fuel will not even push through with a siphon to fill up the filter, etc. Are the hoses maybe not hooked up correctly? If you pour gas/oil mix directly in the carb it will run until that is used up, but that's it

First make sure you have all the hoses hooked up correctly. Second it isn't uncommon for the on/off valve to go bad and restrict fuel. Third the square o-ring on the fuel strainer can go bad allowing it to suck air. All of this can cause no fuel to the carb.

From there if you flooded the engine you could have damaged the fuel pump on the carb through the pulse line when the engine tried to compress the water.

First make sure you have all the hoses hooked up correctly. Second it isn't uncommon for the on/off valve to go bad and restrict fuel. Third the square o-ring on the fuel strainer can go bad allowing it to suck air. All of this can cause no fuel to the carb.

From there if you flooded the engine you could have damaged the fuel pump on the carb through the pulse line when the engine tried to compress the water.

The On/off valve meaning the selector for on/off/res in front of the seat? The guy we purchased it from actually superglued that to Reserve because he said it would slip and cut off fuel. Would that always being on reserve make any difference with how all the hoses are set up? I saw on another forum how they should go, and the on/res/vent/ret on the baffle. But how are you able to see which spot they go to on the fuel selector? Does it have to come out? And what is the best way to get it out if so?

Set up a remote tank and have it run directly off this tank. Then one line/union at a time move the tank back. When it stops running, you will have found where the issue is...

Ditch that broken fuel valve asap. On the new valve the middle goes to the strainer and the ON & RES are Marked. Don't buy the junk chinese ones, go OEM.

Ditch that broken fuel valve asap. On the new valve the middle goes to the strainer and the ON & RES are Marked. Don't buy the junk chinese ones, go OEM.

We haven't had a chance to get a new valve, had a family emergency come up, but we did look into a little more Sunday. The hoses are correct. We tried to prime the lines by pushing air into the Return on the carb (as seen on another post) is this correct? Either way, it filled the inline filter back up, but as soon as we started it, it ran only until it emptied that filter. Gas would flow into the filter very slowly, but not enough to keep it running. There were also bubbles coming into the filter with the little bit of gas. We also bypassed the water strainer with another small inline filter to make sure it's not getting air that way and it didn't make a difference. Does it need to be pressurized more to keep a stronger flow going or could the lines be clogged since it's only sending a small amount to the carb?

Your fuel valve is between the tank and the strainer and still sounds like your problem.
Try running a piece of hose directly from the res on the tank to the strainer just to make sure it runs.

Your fuel valve is between the tank and the strainer and still sounds like your problem.
Try running a piece of hose directly from the res on the tank to the strainer just to make sure it runs.

Bypassing the valve seemed to work! Thanks :) We took it on the river just to test it out and it ran great for a while.... Can bypassing this valve with that hose be a permanent thing or is it needed? After turning the jet ski on and off several times (giving the kids a chance to ride from the bank) it wouldn't start. Is this maybe because it got too hot with being restarted so many times? Or could it just have overheated in general and we have another problem? It ran about 20 mins or so

Stopping and starting will not cause it to overheat. I would suggest making sure your beeper works because that is your overheat alarm.

You can run it without the valve but you loose the ability to have a Reserve of fuel or to turn it off so it can't flood if your carb leaks. I suggest buying a new OEM one as most of the aftermarket ones are junk.

Correct me if I am wrong.. It basically goes from tank, to filter, to valve, to carb, yes?

If so, since it runs ok when you pressurize the tank and get fuel into the filter, then the issue should be before the filter. Which would be something in the tank being the problem.

Our hoses run straight from the baffle to the valve, into the strainer then to the carb. It seemed to run fine with the valve being bypassed for about 30 mins, then wouldn't start back up. I'm pretty sure out beeper is bad because it doesn't even beep when we start it, so it might have overheated. I'm going to try to start it later today and see what it does. Another thing... it immediately dies when hooked to the hose (after it is started), could this be a cooling line is clogged which could have also caused it to possibly overheat yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back