Normal for battery to die after sitting??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fearthisinc

Ok.. So Before I get ragged on I am just now taking the boat out of storage after about 8-9 months.. For some reason it never seemed hot enough and between regular vacation (out of state) and work I haven't had weekends off in a while.. Anyway I just went to take the boat out and give her a good wash for this weekend and I went to start her up and I got a 2 second crank and then nothing.. I put a jump box on it that I keep in my truck and she started right up.. This is the first time taking any kind of watercraft out of storage... Just wondering if it is normal for the battery to be almost dead.. well enough not to kick over.. also I have one of those little chargers that charges at 12v/2amp and 12v/6amp.. Would this be ok to use to charge it overnight or should I be using something else?? I tried to let it run for a few seconds with the jump pack on and whatnot as sometimes with cars i know the battery charges right up but even after running a few seconds as soon as i turned it off it did not have enough juice to turn back on.. Just wondering what you guys think.. Not sure if I should get the battery checked as well.. I don't want to get myself stranded.. Thanks

Sounds like your battery may have a dead cell, first thing to do is have the battery charged and checked, most auto parts stores do this for free. Deep cell marine batteries require a deep charge, I maintain mine with a small charger which has a float switch, that way it doesn't over charge. Good luck, never a good day when you're on the far side of the lake with a dead battery...

lol.. Tell me about it.. Had the little charger on it over night.. Woke up and it was at 100%.. Took it off and she started right up.. Put the charger back on and she was around 80.. Would it be normal though for a 1 year old battery to have a dead cell?? I had the boat stored indoors during the off season and had the battery switch off also.. Like you said I would hate to be out and find out that my battery is dead.. I was thinking of taking the boat out and just starting her up while at the launch and maybe taking her right around the dock for a bit to see how she drives for the first 15-20 minutes.. the problem is that I usually go out in the river so i sometimes driver her out about 10 minutes from the dock which get me pretty far.. If the battery goes then it will be a long paddle ride back lol.. especially if the water is choppy..

Yep thats totally normal. I bet if you let your car sit for 8 months the battery may not start it. Its gonna need to be recharged. The battery may be ruined. If allowed to go totally dead sometimes they can t be brought back. Take it to auto zone and they will load test it and charge it for free. Get yourself a float type charger to leave on it during the winter.

I don't know this to be fact, but just repeating what I've read elsewhere in the past, that any battery loses a small percentage of its charge each day that it sits. Also, that the MPEM continuously checks if the lanyard has been attached to the post so also continuously draws a minute amount - again not sure that this statement is fact or folk lore.

I do know that I have a car that sits for months between being started and it would never start until I put a quick disconnect on the battery post and disconnect it between usage. On my skis, every time I would not use them for a couple weeks, it always seemed one would not start. I have been disconnecting the ground wire if I'm not going to use for a few weeks and have not had a problem since. Others suggest putting a kill switch on the battery cable.

As long as it starts, you are good to take it out. Just take your jump pack with you in case you shut it off and it wont restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back