Noob batteries question - '96 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackfromsac

I have recently pulled my boat out for the season - the last time I went to start it the batteries were too low to start the engines - so I actually brought an external marine battery and connected it to start the engines and putt over to the ramp.

Question: I can't seem to locate anywhere a battery wiring diagram. Previous owner stated that he regularly pulled the batteries to charge them. When I pulled the batteries it looks like they were supposed to be wired in a 'parallel' wiring configuration: The two negatives terminals were jumpered, but the positives were not. Is this correct? Each battery had a separate positive / red connection coming to it. In a true parallel I believe BOTH the positive and negative would be jumpered.

I did have intermittent charging and starting problems over the summer - and I've now read that the charging occurs at a really slow rate - which may explain some of the issues. This is discouraging to me for a couple of reasons:

1. At my seasonal RV site I rent a slip for my boat so I don't have to launch the boat and haul it out every time I wan to use it. This will make charging, or maintaining, my batteries with a charger / tender difficult because there is no electrical power to the dock.

2. I wanted to install a stereo system, but the electrical drain will only make the battery drain / lack of charging worse?

3. With the twin rotax engines - battery space in the engine bay is pretty cramped - I'd rather install a deep cycle marine battery than the two tiny separate 12v's that are there now - my Motorcycle has a bigger battery, for crap sakes - but there does not seem to be room - unless I did some serious modification in there.

Any input here greatly appreciated. I'm guessing that collectively you have all been through the above previously.

Thanks!

PS: I should also note that this is my first jet boat and that I've only owned this one for a few months now (and loving it - it's crazy fun) but am mystified by a lot of the power train compared to the several 'conventional' boats that I have owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1800 Sportster and I have 2 - 24 series batteries in mine. When I added the 2nd one I used some fiberglass and wood to make another platform for another batter right next to the other one. I just have one of those selector switches for off-1-both-2 like most people have. I don't see why you couldn't go to a system like that.

Thanks. I'd like to try that, except with the twin rotax crammed in there I think it will be tight. I read the DIY with pics for putting in the larger marine battery and that looked pretty straightforward - once you remove the oil reservoir. I'll check it out later tonight and see if it looks like I could cram 2 of them back there. If so - that would be great. Like you indicated - I'd have to make some type of platform for #2.

I have 2 engines also I just don't know if the engine compartments are close to same size or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back