No start after long (slow) ride

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtbuzzzz

Hello Friends,
I have a 2002 GTI (717 single carb). Over time I've replaced various parts including a full rebuild of the carb, gas lines, oil tank, bits here and there. I recently moved down to SWFL and took it out and rode around in the canals for over an hour at slow/minimal wake speeds. Ski did not really like this and would idle funny, sputter from time to time, and want to cut off. If I gave it gas it would wake up and be fine but had to dial it back as to not cause a fuss in the minimal wake zone. After the hour+ I went back to the boat ramp to grab a snack. I was about to head back out and go the other direction so I could get out of the slow zone but the ski would not start. I tried and tried. Choke no choke, nothing. Battery is new (2 months old). I packed it up on the trailer and headed home. Needing to do an engine flush, I went to crank it up and after a couple tries it fired up and ran (with a little throttle). It would shut off if I let go of the throttle, but it cranked up fine. What could be the issue here? The only know difference from other outings in the past is the long idle speed. Any suggestions on what I might be able to tweak/fix/adjust in order to avoid such a situation?

Appreciate any and all feedback,
GTA

Keep a spare set of plugs with you at all times.

Riding that long at low speed can foul spark plugs. You may have the low speed adjusters a little too rich. That makes the carbs over fuel. This is common. Long idle periods reveal the low speed settings on carbs. Lots of skis don't see long idle periods so the settings are less noticeable. When idling for long periods every couple of minutes give the ski enough fuel to clear the carbs and burn off any excess fuel. If the ski stumbles on acceleration it is getting too much fuel and needs to burn that off before it can accelerate.

Check the oil pump setting to make sure the lines are... "lined up". Getting too much oil at idle for long periods does the same things over fueling but oil doesn't burn off as easily. Good Luck !!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try the low speed screw. Lots of rain lately so have not been able to get out. I find the carb to be very tough to dial in just right. All seems fine out of the water but as soon as you stick it in to ride, something is a miss. The battery is new (7/2022).

On a stock Seadoo there’s really no reason to mess with the carb screws. If it doesn’t run with the stock settings then something is wrong.

The manual says tighten low speed screw until a slight resistance is felt and then back it off 1.0 +/- 0.25 turns. Perhaps the stock setting is off. I have not touched this since I took the carb apart and put all new bits in it a little over a year ago. I'll start by simply redoing the "stock" setting first. Any speed on plane has always been fine. This long stint at slow speed was a noticeable difference. In addition, I remember one other item. This tank of fuel had stabil in it. Didn't think that would make a difference, but throwing it out there. Thanks again all.

Does machine have a tach if yes what is the idle speed.is idle consistant.setting to stock adjustment is a starting point but you still need to tweak them.bring to a ramp leave it on the trailer under a load and tweak the lows to get the highest smoothest idle it will take a minute to get it to settle between little turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back