No start 717

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcapp

My 1996 Sportster was running ok,may just a little surging, but when I tied up to the pier and went to restart, it fires for a second then dies. It sounds like it could be out of time as it kicks back sometimes when turning over. Disconnection the plug wires stops the kickback. Fuel good, new plugs,new coils and wires. Anyone seen a woodruff key shear on the mag flywheel? Thanks.

Could be a tooth skipped on the rotary valve shaft gear.
But if it was “surging” like a lawnmower,,,then normally this indicates fuel depravation.

Last edited:
Thank you. Does the shaft gear skip on the rotary valve side normally? I tried adding choke in varying amounts but no dice.

SOLVED: Rev limiter in MPEM is bad cutting of spark as soon as it starts. Cut black/green/red wire in MPEM and it cranks and runs fine. Now for a trip to the bank....

The MPEM monitors the magneto signal and cuts spark if it goes above 7000 RPM's. Mine cut the spark as soon as it saw a few hundred RPM's. This is to protect the engine when the boat comes out of the water. The only problem with the signal wire cut is there is no rev limiter and the engine will not cut off when the lanyard is pulled unless you connect it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back