No Spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamzpop

I have a 98' SPX with no spark at the plugs. Multimeter reads 2 volts coming into the coil. Do I need to order the test plug for the generating coil?Manual says I should be getting 18-25 volts from the generating coil and 20 at the spark coil.I would sure appreciate if someone coud give me a couple of tips on how to divide and conqure this thing.

Thanks

Prob first check the magneto. I did this yesterday on a 951 motor.

Disconnect the battery and pull one of the plugs from the MPEM. You're looking for the plug with the 3 yellow wires in a line across the bottom.

The yellow wires are the three phases from the magneto.

Resistance between any two of the wires should be 0-1 ohm.

Then the resistance between each wire and say the head bolts (good engine earth). Should be infinite.

That said mine is 8.5 ohms and my ski sparks fine !

Mine had a a lot of corrosion in the plug to the magneto and the wires inside the magneto had worn though the casing to the metal.

After i cleaned and repaired everything spark is heaps better but i never lost volts like in your situation

Good luck

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it..will mess with it this morning and get back with results.

thanks again

The 1998 SPX had problems with the mpem pins corroding due to water getting in the connectors so I would pull the mpem and check the mpem and harness connectors for corrosion. Check ground continuity between MPEM ground and
battery. Dielectric grease the connections and fuses after a good clean.

Ok....only .2v coming from the MPEM. So I guess either the Magnito or the MPEM is bad? What I am not sure of is how to check the magnito or the trigger without a test jack.

Thanks fro all your help

You have to loosen the front mount, block up the engine to remove the mag cover.
Pull it straight off. Use the seadoo flywheel puller to remove the flywheel to get in there. The bracket may be broken, you may have starter/flywheel teeth parts-bits
and shaveings (metal partical infestation) vacuumn it out. Become a premium member
to get a free factory service manual, it has info & pics of this proceedure.

Pull it straight off. Use the seadoo flywheel puller to remove the flywheel to get in there.and shaveings (metal partical infestation) .

Not on a 787cc Bill......Do what Bill mentioned as blocking up the motor, and pulling the mag cover off, but the trigger is right there, backside of the cover, if the brackets broken, you'll know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back