No spark again

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utopia1330

I have changed the stator, trigger and regulator twice and I take the boat out for one day then the next day I get no spark, this is getting overwhelming. I have a 2001 Mercury m2 jet drive utopia 185 and I’m tired of taking it to the shop that keeps replacing and not finding the cause, any help guys? Change the stator boat works until I use it then next start up no spark, not sure if the shop is doing this so I could keep taking it back.Image1632575746.379678.jpg

Sorry for your troubles.
How are you diagnosing no spark? Using a spark tester? Using a timing light? Which spark plugs are you checking?

So, I'm guessing it won't start? This is a cold start... first start of the day issue, right? There are ohm tests you can do with a VOM in the service manual for the stator and trigger and CDMs (coil packs). What condition is your battery? How many volts do you see when cranking?

Good luck.

Sorry for your troubles.
How are you diagnosing no spark? Using a spark tester? Using a timing light? Which spark plugs are you checking?

So, I'm guessing it won't start? This is a cold start... first start of the day issue, right? There are ohm tests you can do with a VOM in the service manual for the stator and trigger and CDMs (coil packs). What condition is your battery? How many volts do you see when cranking?

Good luck.

I’m going off of a spark tester. This happened twice and shop replaced stator and trigger, got it back and ran it for about 4 hours on the River. A few days later Went to started it to warm it up didn’t start so checked spark and nothing. Can a bad or weak battery prevent it from creating spark? I checked the first 2 on starboard side and didn’t see a spark and gave up went inside told my wife and she directed me to Lowe’s for a for sale sign…. Funny but not funny if you get my drift.

I’m going off of a spark tester. This happened twice and shop replaced stator and trigger, got it back and ran it for about 4 hours on the River. A few days later Went to started it to warm it up didn’t start so checked spark and nothing. Can a bad or weak battery prevent it from creating spark? I checked the first 2 on starboard side and didn’t see a spark and gave up went inside told my wife and she directed me to Lowe’s for a for sale sign…. Funny but not funny if you get my drift.

Start by checking function of your emergency kill switch. The rubber caps fail to hold down the center plunger that actuates the switch. Of course, the switch itself can fail.

Check the black with yellow stripe wire from there back to the engine. That is the wire that actually kills the spark.

Yes, a bad battery can cause ignition issues. Especially while cranking, when system voltage is lowest. Should be 9.5v or better while cranking.

Is your shop ripping you off? Could be. Would not be the first. Make sure you get all your old parts. It would be interesting to test them…….

Sorry for your troubles.

Good luck.

Great replies from forum. Recently, I got a 2000 speedster 240 M2. New to me. First issue was kill safety switch for no spark for all cylinders. Then no spark #1 and #4 - trigger had bad wires. Fixed wires now good on spark. Then fuel issues - float stuck and high pressure fuel pump bad. Found fuel pump for $32.00 - eBay and Amazon. Work in progress.

New battery, disconnected black and yellow wire from engine and still no spark!!! Checked all fuses and nothing, the stator, trigger, regulator are new, I would hate to take it back to the shop.

Thank you ripcuda

Good to check the coils, but unlikely all 6 failed at the same time. Check all your snap-lock connectors for clean and secure. No green pins allowed. Pay particular attention to the wires coming out from under the flywheel.

According to my Merc book, your coils are different from what is shown above. Including individual point-to-point wiring. You need to check each wire, especially the ground wires. and there are several.

Good to check the coils, but unlikely all 6 failed at the same time. Check all your snap-lock connectors for clean and secure. No green pins allowed. Pay particular attention to the wires coming out from under the flywheel.

According to my Merc book, your coils are different from what is shown above. Including individual point-to-point wiring. You need to check each wire, especially the ground wires. and there are several.

Thank you Tim. This is overwhelming, I will have to take the fly wheel off and go wire for wire on this boat. I have not enjoyed this boat a full day without something going wrong. Thank you guys, does anyone have the no spark diagnosis from the manual on my engine that would be able to PM me? This would be very helpful.

Guys, still don’t have spark. Funny thing while checking the connections under the flywheel I move the trigger cables under it and the trim relay activated, is that normal? I will be removing coils and wires to clean them up with sandpaper, does anyone know the ohms it should be kicking out? My last resort is to take it back to the shop lol. Kill switch shows ohm drop when pressed in and out. Checked old stator and trigger that was replace and believe it or not all wires are around the specs so the shop BS’d me on that. Need help. Anyone close to central Florida that will take time to check it, I could drive to you.

Guys, still don’t have spark. Funny thing while checking the connections under the flywheel I move the trigger cables under it and the trim relay activated, is that normal? I will be removing coils and wires to clean them up with sandpaper, does anyone know the ohms it should be kicking out? My last resort is to take it back to the shop lol. Kill switch shows ohm drop when pressed in and out. Checked old stator and trigger that was replace and believe it or not all wires are around the specs so the shop BS’d me on that. Need help. Anyone close to central Florida that will take time to check it, I could drive to you.

Trim relay? What’s that? You could be. close. Finding a faulty wire.

Check these posts... had the no spark twice, once a crank sensor & once a relay.
I think last link has some good references too. Take a really good look at the relay, tiny burn marks at the pins.
Good luck!
2004 Mercury M2 jet boat, No Start/No Spark

Mercury 240 EFI M2: Only cranks once - wont start. when warm

Need help with a dead boat

Update:

Went over all connections and wires, checked ohms on the regulator (all good) check the ohms on trigger (all good) check stator and my blue/white wire along with the solid red wire are not showing any ohms, reader stays on 0. Bad stator? It was replaced twice. Contacting shop that install stator for warranty also trigger felt a little loose, will remove fly wheel and check

Update:

Went over all connections and wires, checked ohms on the regulator (all good) check the ohms on trigger (all good) check stator and my blue/white wire along with the solid red wire are not showing any ohms, reader stays on 0. Bad stator? It was replaced twice. Contacting shop that install stator for warranty also trigger felt a little loose, will remove fly wheel and check

Lots of good info here.
https://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Tech-Guide-Digital.pdf

Thank you Tim, stator is bad and it’s getting replaced. My question is why my engine keeps burning the stator. This will be the 3rd stator replaced, all grounds are clean. I keep thinking maybe is running too hot, my spark plus are almost black when I run it. After every use for about 4-5 hours I come back limping or it keeps shutting off, my shop doesn’t have an answer they tell me to change the switch box???? I just don’t know!!!

Update:

Replaced the stator, boat turn on and has spark.

Question:

I ran it on the hose for about 4-5 minutes and took a look under the fly wheel and noticed a droplet of some sort. Shut the boat off and attempted to touch it. It was hot under there!!! Touched the droplet and noticed it was from the glue on the stator’s coil????? Touched the cylinder head on starboard side and it was hot to the touch, should it run this hot on the hose? Is the glue breaking in to the point on melting??? Dumb questions but I’m trying to wrap my head around why the stator keeps burning out? And why is it running so hot???

Your help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back