No spark 96 xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty nail

Can someone help me diagnose no spark for a 96 xp? Step by step with details on. 1.testing ignition coil 2. testing stator 3. testing cdi. 4.testing rectifier? I have new plugs and checked fuses. I need to know the order to which to start and how to conduct the test. I have an electrical tester. Thanks for your time.

I'll suggest downloading a service manual for the ski and following the instructions then ask specific questions when you run into problems. Your problem is likely NOT, the ignition coil, rectifier, or the stator. Check power to the ignition coil and work backwards from there. I'd suspect the CDI.... good luck testing that one. It's in the manual, you'll need a multi-meter. I've also had problems with the magnetic pick on the flywheel. The pick up wasn't bad but the tip was dirty and had metal stuck to it which prevented it from detecting the flywheel position. The ski won't fire unless that part provides the pulse. Good Luck.

Seadoo Manuals

Last edited:
There is also a good video on YouTube if you search seadoo no spark. It goes thru everything using a 96 XP. The first simplest thing to check is that your battery is good(load tested) and fully charged and that the small black wire that connects directly to the negative battery terminal and goes to the rear electrical box is providing a good ground to the coil in that box.

started to look at the manual....i am a visual learner, so thanks for the utube suggestion. I will look for that for sure. Yes, checked grounds and the ground that heads back to the electrical box visually looks to be in good shape. No corrosion anywhere. Battery has been on a trickle charger and when hooked up the starter cranks hard so i am pretty sure it is in good shape.

When/if i decide to pull the motor, i will for sure be checking the stator and pick up. I am guessing this cannot be done easily without removing the motor.

I have your Xp!,,go into the rear box,,pull the white plug from the coil,,,put a test light on the white connector,,,ground the other side to the ground post,,,apply lanyard,,,try to start,,,if the light pulses,, then your problem is in that electrical box,,,coil,,,a ground...etc,,,if no pulse,,,problem is up stream,,,cdi,,trigger pickup,,,stator on that model will not affect a poor start other than the battery would be weaker,,, a failed trigger pickup,,will cause a no start for sure,,,a failed voltage reg will not affect initial spark,,,but will prevent it from reving out...and of course charging the battery.

Last edited:
I have your Xp!,,go into the rear box,,pull the white plug from the coil,,,put a test light on the white connector,,,ground the other side to the ground post,,,apply lanyard,,,try to start,,,if the light pulses,, then your problem is in that electrical box,,,coil,,,a ground...etc,,,if no pulse,,,problem is up stream,,,cdi,,trigger pickup,,,stator on that model will not affect pulse trigger pickup,,voltage reg will not affect initial spark,,,but will prevent it from reving out...and of course charging the battery.
Excellent description!! This stuff is worth a lot to those that troubleshoot these skis.

On my 1996 XP it would turn over but would not start no matter how long you held the start button engaged. Once your released the start button the engine would fire right up and run great. Wasn't until night time when I had my handy dandy spark checker ($5 at Auto Zone) on the plug. The spark looked good and consistent but when I released the start button the spark indication got much brighter and the engine fired up. So those last revolutions when I disengaged the starter gave the coil what it needed. Ended up... the coil was bad. Strange stuff sometimes.

so i ran the test light....it pulses....hurray! I had sanded all my electrical connection and just tested the coil itself for resistance and it is in spec. still no spark to either of the plugs when grounding it to the block. the plugs look brand new, but i did not purchase them. i am scratching my head right now if you can see that.

ok....so i could not wait. swapped out a coil that i have from a 98 speedster i am working on and bingo! spark. Thanks Popps....you got me to the solution real quick without much expense. I could not find my test light so i needed to go purchase one for $7......money well spent!!.

LOL.... Good Job. I'm laughing over here because one of the salvage shop parts guys says it is NEVER the coil. :D Yep, POPPs knows is stuff !! Now wasn't that easy??? :D :D

started to look at the manual....i am a visual learner, so thanks for the utube suggestion. I will look for that for sure. Yes, checked grounds and the ground that heads back to the electrical box visually looks to be in good shape. No corrosion anywhere. Battery has been on a trickle charger and when hooked up the starter cranks hard so i am pretty sure it is in good shape.

When/if i decide to pull the motor, i will for sure be checking the stator and pick up. I am guessing this cannot be done easily without removing the motor.
Remove and clean the grounds....don’t just look at them. Mine was the cdi had failed....96 xp. you can check the stator and pickup in hull, you have to loosen the motor mounts and lift the front up a hair to get the bottom bolts out. There is a way to test the pickup without pulling the cover

Sometimes, water gets trapped in the coil wire tunnel...and rust will occur,,,the plastic clips that hold them in will break,,,pull the wire,,,check for rust,,,cut the wire back 1/4 inch,,spray silicone on it or apply lubricant,,reinsert the wire,,do the other side of course,,,so now after having inserted the wires,,,zip tie them around the coil so that they will not move,,and apply rtv black silicone at the tunnel,,so water will never get in there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back