No power in one engine.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrump

Hey Everyone,

I wanted everyone to know that I appreciate the help at this forum, this year so far has been nothing but problems with my boat, I'm glad I found this sight or I would be lost.

I'm having a problem with the right side engine on my 99 doo sk, I took it to the lake today and found that my right engine would not go above 3,000 rpm. It seemed to be smoking more that normal, not a crazy amount of smoke, but enough for me to notice. I would give it full throttle and it sounded very similiar to the rev limiter kicking in. I'm not sure if it's the rev limiter because I would think that both engines wouldn't work if that was the case. I checked my plugs and they were fine, but I replaced them with new ones any way. The left side engine is running just fine and wants to scream when I give it the gas, so I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any answers,

scrump

Neutral switch....

If you didn't have the twin engine or if both engines were limited to 3k, I'd say it was your neutral switch. That's what it is 99% of the time in the single engine boat.
I'm going to have to look around on that one. You've checked your throttle linkage and all is o.k. there?
Let me look at the manual. I'll try and get back with you tonight. I have two small children, so he you don't hear from me by tomorrow, PM me or re-post...:cheers:
The smoke may be temporary because your dumping fuel, but the limiter is keeping you from burning it.
And if I remember right, you have one shift lever and two throttle levers. The neutral safety switch is in the throttle lever controls........
When the boat is in neutral, can you put the throttle wide open, or is there a block. Like a lock to keep you from pushing it any further than about 1/4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi scrump,
I am having similar problem with my challenger and have just found that left motor is not charging, so think it could be stator, yet to do the tests.
You should also check raves, and fuel filters.
Raves will normally effect revs at around 5000rpm, Rev limit is set at 3000rpm, charging seems to effect at 5000rpm, Fuel carbies can effect at all rev ranges.
These motors are quite easy to work on systems are quite simple.
Fuel, Air and Spark.

hi Louis must have been typing at same time.
with duel throtle neutral safety swith is on gear shift so would affect both and yes there is a block if not in gear properly.

Scrump, when is the last time you checked the RAVE valves? I bet the RAVE valves need to be de-carbonized. They should be cleaned and de-carbonized at least once a year. If they aren't cleaned of carbon they will not allow the engine to rev properly. They are easy to clean, if you need help removing them give us a shout and we will guide you to there removal, and cleaning.

Karl

Thought so.....

I' looked at that expanded view a few months ago and thought so. So, it's certainly not the neutral safety switch.
I agree with your points....good things to check up on.
We went over the RAVE a few post ago, so I don't think it's them, unless, did you clean them? And if you did, are you sure the springs are right and that your caps are adjusted all the way down? And the last point on them, did you inspect for any holes in the belows.
When I looked this up, I thought I told you there weren't raves on the 717, but I got lost in the fast pace of doing posting....sorry for the mistake, we all make them. The 787 was the first Rotax with the RAVE system.

Thanks for the help everyone!! I do want to anwer one question from the second post. The throttle levers do move to full throttle when in neutral, but they are rev limited at around 4,000 rpm. The second is that no I have not cleaned the rave valves, I've had the boat about a year and have not had any problems until lately. I will definitly take up the offer of having someone walk me through cleaning them.

scrump

Should I also clean the carbs? I'm not sure, but I remember reading a post on rev limiters that the fuel tube can get stopped up, should I also check that? I also forgot to mention that the oil alert would start going off and I have to push the switch to turn it off.

I just read the post on the rave valve adjustment and saw a posting that the 717 doesn't have the rave, I just looked on the engines for them and saw none. Am I correct, or might they be somewhere else.

scrump

Your correct that the 717 doesn't have the rave valves. It is possible that the carbs small internal filter could be dirty and would prevent the engine from receiving the proper amount of fuel. I'll have a look in the manual and see the specs on the engine and post some advice for you to correct the problem. Is the oil injector tank low on oil? that would cause the alarm to sound. If it is filling it up should solve that problem.

Karl

Thanks for the research, it is appreciated. My oil injection tank is a little over3/4 full. I topped it off before getting on the lake yesterday and only used what I did on the lake. Do you think that the alert going off and the engine not working correctly could be correlated.

scrump

I beleive that the senser is the one in the oil injector tank. I don't think there is another sensor anywhere in the system that would warn of a low oil problem. I checked the manual and it is only in the injector tank. It might be a bad sensor. Check the wireing connectors and if you find nothing wrong I'll check on how to test it to find the problem.

Karl

Oops!!

Sorry about the post concerning the rave, I missed the bottom of seadoosnipes posting, I kinda feel like a dumba** now. I'm sure that was confusing, I would really like to clean my carbs and check that filter if anyone has any tips, if I can't get my boat to run right, I'm gonna go crazy.

:redface:

On the 717 it has fuel accelerator pump too. I would clean the carbs and check to see if you boat had the gray fuel lines. If it does replace them with black ones from auto zone or the like. I think it was 98 or 99 that had the faulty gray fuel lines the left residue in the carbs. If you need more help give us a shout.

Kustomkarl,

I had a little time last night and took apart the fuel accelerator pump, it seemed very clean, but I cleaned it anyway. I put it back together and started the boat just see if hopefully it might run a little better. I was able to get 5000 rpm at first, but it bogged down to 4000 rpm after about 10 seconds. I'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel filters, along with the grey lines to the carb when I clean the carb. I was wondering if due to what the boat was doing last night, should I check the other components, perhaps in the gas tank and when I pull the carb should I have rebuild kit on hand? This will be my first time digging around on this engine so I want to make sure that I can put it all back the way I found it, just cleaner.

Accelerator pump....

The accelerator pump also has to be adjusted so that's it's in sync to the carbs. You can check that, but because of the rmp your getting, makes me believe something like a vacuum on your tank or some other problem may exist. If the carbs work well at idle and initial take off, up to 5k rpm, smoothly, then your carb(s) are probably fine..........
The grey fuel line will come apart on the inside and clog up the system. That has to be replaced ASAP.........
Go to your local auto parts store for this hose. Take a small piece with you and make sure you tell him fuel line..........

Questions

I think I might go ahead and clean the carbs just because I am not sure when they were last cleaned, it would give me peace of mind. I know that someone mentioned that a bad battery can have a similar effect on the rpm's so I am going to check that also. The questions I have now are how do you adjust the accelerator pump and if there is a vaccuum lock, what is causing that, so I can check it or fix it.

Thanks for the help,
scrump

Running Good

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that my boat is running good now. I changed the fuel filters, changed out the gray fuel line from the fuel accelerator pump to the carbs and cleaned the carbs. The fuel filters were very dirty, if I had to guess, I would say that was the problem. I would bet money that they were the original filters from 1999. The carbs looked good and the grey fuel lines seemed to be holding up good, but I changed them anyway. My RPM's are back to normal and no bogging down. Thanks for all the help from everyone, I would have been lost without it.

scrump :cheers:

Go have some fun this weekend and let us know how it is running...take some pictures too, we'd love to see ya having fun!

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back