No power / acceleration when pull throttle 98 GSX ltd

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the worst luck ever apparently. My 98 seadoo gsx ltd was in for stator replacement because it wouldnt start. After stator replaced the machine turns on again not a problem. Today I brought it out to the lake and started it up (something it wouldn't do prior to bringing it in for repair), however now when you pull the throttle it just moves at the same speed regardless how far you pull it. You can here the engine revving up but there is not full power to the jet, it sits there putting along at low speed but high rev. I brought it into the shore and opened the seat cover, the black pipe was extremely hot, as if no water was going through it.. but perhaps its always that hot, to be honest I never checked this pipe previously after a ride.

In any event hoping someone here can shed some light how a stator replacement could have now caused the throttle to no longer run the jet at full power.. what a bummer with such a nice day, Friday and not many left in the season :(

Last edited:
Sounds fuel related,,,could be electrical,,,usually fuel depravation,,load test the battery.

If you are getting high rpm but no forward speed it’s your pump.

Typically it’s a worn out wear ring $40. You need to pull your pump and inspect the wear ring and impeller.

pump was fine before the thing went dead in the water due to blowing the 15amp fuse. I posted here shortly after and everyone said stator.. sure enough it was the stator. Took it in for repair, got it back, starts up, but yea no power... could it be that they forgot to hook something back up? or more likely something else got damaged during repair? :/

Sounds fuel related,,,could be electrical,,,usually fuel depravation,,load test the battery.
it gets fuel, I can pull the throttle and get high rpm, but no movement.. or very little forward speed.. almost like idle speed even though at high rpm. It hits that coasting speed where you can feel its just about to raise up out of the water and go.. but it never does, it just puts puts like a riding swan ride at the local fair.

Did some more testing today as I have two identical machines it makes it easy to compare. For sure the problem machine is getting way to hot along with its non power issue, it seems like no water is actually flowing through the black pipe to cool it. I noted a whole bunch of tubes connecting to this pipe were never zip locked or fastended back down in any way after the repair. I wonder if one of the lines below the engine (I cant see) was also not fastended down and perhaps came loose. In any event, the symptoms are, black pipe extremly hot, high rpm on throttle but no movement (or very little power), all this after a stator replacement.

Last edited:
If you have high rpm and no speed then the issue is 100% something with your pump, probably wear ring like mikidymac mentioned earlier

The ski gets its cooling from the pump, if your wear ring is toasted it will over heat

Last edited:
Wondering if stator replacement could have damaged the wear ring? Reason I ask is because I know this machine ran like a beast aside from when it shut down instantly on the water due to blowing the 15 amp fuse due to stator issue. Other thing I noticed when it came back for repair was a bunch of orange sealant on the engine exhause mainfold (where the silver exaust ports connect to the main engine block). Turns out instead of removing the carbs and then the black pipe to get to the stator, they couldnt get the black pipe off so they took it off while still attached to the top half of the engine by removing the engines exaust ports along with the black pipe.. I fear the worst now.

Take some pics of the engine compartment. Maybe we can see something.
shes back in the shop, along with my other identical machine so they can reference. If they cant figure it out you bet i'll be posting pics here in hopes someone can save my ass :) Thanks all

got my skis back, unfortunately the issue persists. The mechanic said he is at a loss and I would have to take it somewhere else :/ I would take pics and post here but really nothing looks out of the ordinary between my one working one and the other which won't lift off out of the water when you pull the throttle.. Going to bring it to someone who has the device to read the computer in hopes there is some indication as to what is actually going on. Mechanic said wear ring looked fine... so yea, no idea.. summers weather almost over..fml.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back