No click from starter or beep

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayola_Dan

Hi, first off I've used the search engine and didnt really come up with much.

I've received as a gift a seadoo speedster 1800 98' worked really great only 2 mayor problems in the past; bad oil pump (mechanic told me just to mix oil/gas manually to save $ on an oil pump) and bad starters (which were replaced).

Last time used, it work fine (which was about a 2 months ago) got stored with disconnected battery. Now that I'm on vacation from collage, I started it up with a bit of trouble at the garage and moved the boat to my house, there I noticed I forgot to open the drain hole from the engine compartment last time used and had a decent amount of water stored inside. When I went to fire up the engine at my house nothing happened, not even the loud click from the starter.

I searched all fuses and all are ok, checked all the wires there ok too (except for a black wire coming from the positive battery which I believe is the ground), but I came across my right starter being loose (with was the mechanic who installed the new one). I haven't removed that starter yet to check it out, but before I do, can this cause both engines not to start, or not even click? Any advice solution?

What I don't get is even if the starter was loose and the engine compartment had a bit of water why would it turn on at the garage and then at my house it wont anymore.

Don't want to call a mechanic if it's something with-in my reach. (Sorry for the long post, more explanation the better) Thanks!

It is possible that the ground wire from the battery doesn't have a good connection and it won't allow t to get power and turn over the starter or even power it up. Be sure the battery is full charged. Charge it out of the hull and not attached to the seadoo Positive + and Negative - connections so you don't take a chance of surging the electrical components. Check your wire connections and try it again.The ground wire goes to the starter and needs to be clean and have a good connection.

Keep us posted on your progress. You should be able to get it started again with a little guidance from us.

Karl

Thanks Karl, I charged the battery and changed the cable heads of the battery and gave both starters a little wack and both of the click now.

My left engine starts great, but I noticed my right one didn't. I think I'm having starter problems on this one, since the engine clicks, but wont start. I'll see what you recommend, before I take the starter off to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been watching your posts. let me know how it goes. If you don't get a response, I chime in and help out when you get stuck.

Karl

Thanks for the interest and the help, haven't been able to remove the bottom tork, need a longer tool. As soon as I can I'll let you know. thanks again

I agree with Karl. Let me ask you this however: what brand starter did your mechanic go with when he replaced them? OEM or aftermarket?

My boat has a black ground cable that links the two engines. The batter is connected to the port side engine only. If the linking cable is making bad contact, that could be why one doesn't start. Check to make sure.
As a test, you can always use a car jumper cable between the engine and the - post on the battery to test your ground. If it starts, then you've got a bad ground.

Hey ppl, Thanks for all the support and help, I got the starter out and checked it out, was totally burnt. I replacet it with 1 of the old pair which is good to last me my short vacation, until I get a better one.
I did a compression test came out ok, both engines started up excelent I semi-cleaned the seadoo and took her to the beach. BUT GUESS WHAT!? my battery died when the boat was in the water! lucklly I got it charged near by.

Is it common for a seadoo to drain batteries? (I ask couse it drained both my spare and regular battery)

rectifier/s...

in the big grey electrical box, you'll see 2-yellow 1-1/2in square things. When your battery is dying, like you describe, then more than likely, those componants went south...OR, bad connections at ends of batteries, starters, grounds...

You were right Tim, there's 1 yellow component near the electrical fuse box. I checked it with a multimeter and it's dead, aswell I turned both engines on and as soon as I disconnect the batter they shut off, meaning they were consuming power directly from the battery. I'll check through Ebay and see how much the rectifier cost.

Thanks to all who help me through out the process! Time to clean and get all the grease off the boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back