Next Level Ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Since I have gotten involved in Seadoo Jet Skis and have resurrected a few I am looking for suggestions for the next level from the GTX 787s I have. Requirements, more power (130hp), good reliability, and not too expensive to maintain (parts and such). I'd like to keep it simple. I would like to know what type/model to keep on my radar. Can a simple engine swap upgrade a 1997 GTX?

Last edited:
It all depends what type of riding you do or want to do. I use my 97 gsx for taking kids out and my 96xp for me- time. Both have 800’s. I have couple other jetskis that arent as reliable but thats the reason for my 2 that i stated. The 951 is a sore subject for a lot if people. Has 130hp but isnt forgiving at all. Hard to beat the reliability of an 800, if you wanna stick with the 2 strokes.

It all depends what type of riding you do or want to do. I use my 97 gsx for taking kids out and my 96xp for me- time. Both have 800’s. I have couple other jetskis that arent as reliable but thats the reason for my 2 that i stated. The 951 is a sore subject for a lot if people. Has 130hp but isnt forgiving at all. Hard to beat the reliability of an 800, if you wanna stick with the 2 strokes.

Paul the only kind of riding I will do is with family. Reliability is the key for me. I am/was just thinking of a ski for me to have a bit more power than the others in the stable. I like the two strokes. I also have a 96 SPI... not fast but fun to ride. I am pretty new to skis, less than a year but lots of repairs and rebuilds in that time frame. I really appreciate the input from experienced members. Sounds like the GTXs are about all I need.

If you want reliability stick with the 787 GTX. The 951 GTX isn't that much faster and is much more labor intensive and has more reliability issues. Fast, Reliable or Cheap, pick any two.

So true. Well that is good news for me. I got what I need. Just gotta get them up to speed and keep them there.

I'd wager anything that's now 20+ years old has reliability issues lol...

I might be selling my setup this summer... just don't have time to ride any more, and when I do, I'd rather be on the boat on the bay...

My 97 gsx 800 has been solid for the 14 yrs of ownership. Granted it only has 105 hrs on it. Easy to haul myself and one of my young kids around. Does a little over 50mph

I had quite a bit of work to do it after i bought it since previous owner neglected it. But just like any other older 2-stroke- clean carbs, replace fuel lines, go through pump and fuel system and lots of cleaning.

Paul... that is me for sure. I gotta get things back up to snuff. I spend lots of time and I try not to count the cash. Ha ha

Our first ski was a early gts and our second one was a 96gtx. You have 2 of the best family cruisers that can still be sporty. With a big enough wake/wave you can launch that GTX higher in the air than you will know what to do with. It will pull almost anything behind it you want to even some on one ski as long as they are not errrrrr....too fat, people at the slalom course would look at us funny when we would roll up and pull skiers through the bouys while they sat in their nautiques and master crafts. If you want something to add power to get a 787 x4 they're cheap.

95 xp800, 96 xp, 97-99 spx
Thanks, I did some research on those last night. They must be a blast. I was a little let down by the SPI last weekend. I was "hammer down" and goin pretty good then my wife glided by me on the GTX with a passenger on back. I am surprised at what a hooligan rider my wife is on the jet ski. I love it though. :D

I'd wager anything that's now 20+ years old has reliability issues lol...

I just don't want to inherit a bad design that is not cost effective with regard to time and money. Kinda like having a high maintenance female. Ha ha

That’s a hard thing to do, buying an old ski that’s not going to be a problem.

I did something bad this weekend.. I bought a yami.. 2016 VXR.. and I’m impressed with it. So much more torque than the RX. Doesn’t feel that much heavier/bigger. Funny, though, how the display doesn’t have temp, top speed, or trip computers, as the RX does.

And now my decision.. what do I do with the ol’ two stroker RX. It’s only worth maybe $2k +/-. 170hrs. Runs strong.

Honestly, unless someone offers me top dollar I’m going to keep it because I feel like I’ll never find another two stroke that runs as well and is as quick and versatile for this price. I’d highly recommend a carbed RX, man. You won’t regret it.

The RX is the largest 2 stroke 2 seater that seadoo made and it even has reverse. I would consider it a luxury 2 seater. For all out fun and being stupid on calm water you can't beat an X4.

The RX is the largest 2 stroke 2 seater that seadoo made and it even has reverse. I would consider it a luxury 2 seater. For all out fun and being stupid on calm water you can't beat an X4.

Agree for solo riding. But for me being 50/50 solo/2up, the RX is awesome. I hated not having reverse with my gsx. What a PITA when by the dock. My RX will still GPS 60.5mph. If you run two even somewhat regularly, I’d say it’s worth it over the smaller skis.

Coming from the OP’s 787 GTX, I think he’d feel a little loose and tippy on something smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back